Street Racer Questions

Racing for a time slip is fun, but there is nothing like beating someone on the street who thinks they are faster then you.

I gotta chime in here. Work is slow and I have some time... I agree with dvernst, which brings me to a street racing story. Here goes.
For all of you that have been to Bowling Green for the Buick event you know that Scottsville road is bangin with sweet rides. Well, I was 19 or 20 and let me say that if you want to casual street race (no money and B.S., just rev at a stop light and nail it for a few hundred feet) the best time is when the Corvette guys have one of there many celebratory events, ya know when they come out to show off their logoed matching jackets, gold necklaces and watches,shoes, hand bags and whatever else they can attach a vette logo to. Don't get me wrong I love Vettes and Mom had one for 20 years, but these guys are so fun to pick on cause they think they just can's lose, especially to punk long hair in a firebird...oh it was sweet too. In front of the ACME boot outlet on Scottsville road before you get to the mall I lined up to a 69 Big Block Stingray, he revved so it was on... The light turned green and the TTA nailed that blubbering big block. The dude didn't look my way at the next light. He was fast, stayed behind me though and my car was pretty stock back then.. Street racing is fun, I'm a week junky, Maybe I can be on A&E's show intervention. Can I be rehabilitated?

there's no rehab for you sverble! You are a terminal case. For you guys reading this, this guy is directly responsible for me owning a gn. I spent my jr and sr years of high school riding shotgun with him in that tta smoking all the supposedly "fast" cars around our area. As soon as I could afford it, I bought mine and started mowin' em down too. The buicks are great on the street cuz if you leave quick and hook up good it's gonna take a whole lot of power to catch you and pass you. I've beaten lots of faster cars that way. Verble, you need to tell the story about that built and caged 911 you beat!

I can't wait for verble to tell it so I will. It was a normal afternoon and we were just riding around having fun when we see a 911 coming at us. when he goes by it was obvious there was a cage in it. This is a pretty rare sight on our streets and we both did a double take. verble hit the brakes and whipped around to track him down. We catch up with him and he tells us he just got the car out, it was a heavily built motor and he spent a lot of money on it. The car looked and sounded the part. He was hesitant to race, claiming he was having trouble launching it. Verble explained it was just for fun and he agreed to follow us to a close spot. Now, this spot is close to town and has almost no traffic, but it's narrow and changes elevation 3 or 4 times in a qtr mile. The marker is a mail box that is within 100 ft or so of the 1/4. Anyway, we get lined up and verble's in the left lane and I count to 3 out the window. On 3 both cars leave, but verble is in front with a great launch. I turn to look for the porsche and he looks like he stalled. I say "he bogged!" and verble lets off thinking we'd line em up again. Just then I see the nose stand up on the 911 and I yell "he's coming, go,go,go!!" Verble floors it and I'm twisted around in the pass. seat saying "gooooo!" It was incredible to see that 911 gaining ground on us(verble's car was a mid 12 car at the time and tuned and ready to go). I was so tuned in to watching the 911 I didn't know the race was over until verble shouted "got him!" About 200 feet later he passed us. That 911 was wicked bad, but that day it was almost bone stock tta-1, heavily modded 911-0. The only thing I didn't like about it was I wish we had been in my gn. :mad:

Ahh yes, that was a good one...I think I've put that story on a board a while ago. It was deffinately cool to beat a modified super car. I would of liked if he wouldn't have stumbled off the line and I wouldn't have momentarily let out. I wanted this race to be even though, I wanted to know just how bad a$$ this car was. If I remember correctly, I think that dude never came back to town. He hit the parkway and I never even seen that car again in the city 30 miles away where the car was from. The car and owner was out of Owensboro Kentucky. I think that the story that goes with the car/owner was that it was touted as highly modified, like $40,000 worth of mods. That seems high as heck, but maybe super car parts and labor costs more than I'm aware...maybe he eventually got the car tuned better. Another car that I wanted to run was a 2003-04 Ferrari Modena Spider. He lived in the same building I live at in Downtown Nashville. I had my car here at the time with the TE44 alcy combo, it was running great at the time. I saw him out cruising the same time I was out. I did everything I could to get next to him, but traffic was just to sketchy and I finally gave up. That would of been sweet to race one of those.