Streetable fuel pump

G

GNSCOTT

I was just wondering what everyone is using for a FP. What would support 1000 hp safely? (not that i'll be up that high, but i'd like to get as close as i can) I have seen some advertised , but they say for track use only. I am assuming this is because they cannot cool themselves. Any suggestions???

1000 HP pump

In the "BTDT" dept. DO NOT even THINK about the SX or Granatelli junk!!:mad:
I went 10.27 w/ 1 Walbro 340M [REAL LUCKY!!!] Switched to a SX, -10 line, -6 return, and proceeded to toast the plugs. A pressure check revealed the pump would run to 75psi, BUT the volume at that psi was WAAAYYY too low to keep the engine happy.
Moral of the story. Get a WELDON and be done w/ it. [You need the big lines to do it right.]
If you are concerned w/ pump life, add the electric control box that slows the pump down at cruise speeds. [JEGS]

Back to changing the pump;)

PS:
Don't forget to make arrangements for a good sump pickup and a return that puts the hot fuel at the opposite end of the tank from the pickup.
Additionally, I called ACCUFAB and talked to John about the ability of his billet rail mted FPR to handle the SX flow. He said he uses the WELDON 2015 and the same reg and it works great.;)

Tank Sump

Now that we're talking tank sumps, does anybody offer a fuel tank modified with this? Just curious as if there isn't it seems like a market that my be worthwhile.

Now, I'll get back into my wallet.:)

I'm gonna go with the Weldon aslong as it is streetable. I'm getting ready to order my #10 feed and #6 return braided line from Summit. I was thinking of going with a fuel cell, but i think a 5 gallon tank is a little on the low side for even an occasional street car. Do they make 10 gallon cells??

Fuel cell sizes

several mfgrs make cells larger than 10 gallons. JAZ, etc all make them.
Watch for warnings on the foam they have available as some foam inserts will melt if it's exposed to alky and other additives.
If you are running gas, I'd recommend the foam option as it keeps the gas slosh down.
Also, be sure to order the following items.
1. Rollover check valve for the vent line. Usually a -6.
2. Check valve to be plumbed in right after the exit from the cell. It keeps the filter and lines and pump full w/ key off.
3. A HIGH flow filter to be installed before the pump and after the check valve.
4. A 90 ohm sender for the gas ga.

Also, remember to read the NHRA rules for installing a cell!!!:eek:
The cell HAS to be protected on the bottom and if you put it, [or the fill neck] in the trunk, the entire rear behind the seat HAS to be sealed off, INCLUDING the speaker shelf!!!:(
Be sure to ground the metal neck of the cell so you won't find the car in "East Peoria" when the static spark ignites the fumes while filling the tank:D

Back under my fuel cell!!;)

is the aeromotive pump in summit any good It says it has stainless preciion rollers for thousands of miles of perf. I have never seen any feedback about this pump.

Originally posted by 1320n10
is the aeromotive pump in summit any good It says it has stainless preciion rollers for thousands of miles of perf. I have never seen any feedback about this pump.

If you wana know about the Aeromotive stuff, talk to Cotton. There are 3 or 4 different aeromotive pumps. I have the 1000HP (700hp Forced FI) version, but may need to get rid of it and jump to the 1200HP (900hp Forced FI) version if my stage motor ever gets done. Aeromotive makes all the paxton pumps, and just recently started selling them under their own label, except they're made even better then the paxton pumps are to hold up under extended use (street).

Aeromotive/Paxton

Justin, that's why I included the "Granatelli" on the list of non-performers. I have 1 of them too and will relegate the 2 of them to a <600 HP application, or even better, a unblown app.:)

I saw the Aeromotive at Cotton's table in Reynolds and quickly made a mental comparison to it being no better than [and looking identical to] what I had on the car. W/ the cost being in the mid $300 range, it was easy to decide to go to the Weldon, especially after talking to others that had the same experiences I've had.

Back to the fuel pump install:D

Re: Aeromotive/Paxton

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
Justin, that's why I included the "Granatelli" on the list of non-performers.

Explain the Granatelli thing? Do they own Aeromotive?

I need more turkey. I'm lost. :D

Aero/Gran pumps

Justin, I think Aeromotive makes the pumps for Granatelli, AKA PAXTON. [FWIW,Granatelli invented the Paxton centrifugal blower many many yrs ago. Like when the Studes and T-birds were available w/ them, back in the mid/ late 50's.] I doubt anyone that doesn't already have alot of aerospace experience, [ and tooling] such as Essex Industries, AKA SX, would get into the pump business for just hi-po stuff.

Chuck

Re: Aeromotive/Paxton

I saw the Aeromotive at Cotton's table in Reynolds and quickly made a mental comparison to it being no better than [and looking identical to] what I had on the car. W/ the cost being in the mid $300 range, it was easy to decide to go to the Weldon.

Chuck, the "comparable" Aeromotive (to a Weldon 2015 that is) would be the new Pro Series pump (P/N 11102). Jobber on this pump is ~ $585.

Art

AERO/WELDON

Art, thanx for the comparison. That price confirms I was looking at the SX # 18201 replacement as Jack told me the price was $360.00 +-. I had looked at a WELDON and had received the same ballpark cost as you report.
In the FWIW dept, the tech sheet on the SX is as follows;
80GPH@45PSI@12VDC
max PSI 90
12.5 Amps@45PSI
They go on to say that gas weighs 5.75#/GALLON @ 70*F:rolleyes: I use 6.2 on the inj. test bench. [.77Sp Gr]
The WELDON book specs show a chart.
The pump will be working against total pressure seen at the inj nozzles.[ regulator pressure plus boost acting on the nozzle].
Looking at the chart shows the 2015 will flow 100GPH at 75PSI. Using the conversion from SX, of 5.753#/gallon, nets a total of 575PPH. I use a BSFC of .50 for a capability to support 1150 HP. Evidently I'm missing something as the ad says 100GPH up to 800 HP. Any ideas where the other 350 HP went??:confused:
I guess it may be a "CYA" factor.;)

Food for thot!!
Time for a turkey sandwich!!

Thanx and back to my fuel system!!

Bosch 044

I have the Bosch pump its an 044. This baby pumps 87gph at 105psi. It cools itself and is in line and quiet as a mouse. With the accufab and stock return line you will not be able to get fuel psi under around 50 psi. I had to modify return line to get down to 46 psi. If thats not enough for you they make a larger pump thats over 100gph @105psi. Give Tony Dequick a call thats where I got mine from. He has the exact numbers

Re: AERO/WELDON

The WELDON book specs show a chart.
The pump will be working against total pressure seen at the inj nozzles.
Looking at the chart shows the 2015 will flow 100GPH at 75PSI. Using the conversion from SX, of 5.753#/gallon, nets a total of 575PPH. I use a BSFC of .50 for a capability to support 1150 HP. Evidently I'm missing something as the ad says 100GPH up to 800 HP. Any ideas where the other 350 HP went??:confused:
I guess it may be a "CYA" factor.;)

Sounds odd, even if they used a slightly higher BSFC. I recently had good conversations with Joe L. and Todd K. regarding appropriate fuel systems for my application. FWIW, I installed the big Aero last night along with the giant Pro Series pre-filter. It looks like a futuristic boiler room under the car now :). I've been running a double-pumper through the stock lines. Although I can't pinpoint any problem directly related to this, I wanted a pump (Weldon or otherwise) that left me enough headroom so I would only require ~75% of its theoretical potential. I didn't go with the proven pump, had to try this new bauble. Anyway, getting a bit off-topic... back under MY fuel system, Chuck, like dealing with the traffic jam along the frame rail ;)

Art Freeman
GN#1: 9.61 @ 141
(GN#2:11.02 @ 124)