You can type here any text you want

Suggestions for alarms, kill switches, etc...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

robk46

I figured I'd post this here, since some of you have gone through the trama of having your car stolen. My son and I are restoring an '86 GN, and I'd like some opinions on anti-theft devices / methods. I'm thinking kill switch, lowjack, wheel locks, column lock, and an alarm. Also, as we restore / repair things, we'd like to etch the VIN onto the big parts. Any suggestions on where to buy an etcher?
OR
How about a claymore strapped under the drivers seat, attached to the kill switch? :D

Kill switch

Cheap and effective..... I have one kill switch hooked up to the fuel pump.. But at the same time if they want thyre gonna find a way to take it. To prevent a tow when you park you car turn the wheels al the way one side and lock it... Just my .02

Cheap and effective..... I have one kill switch hooked up to the fuel pump.. But at the same time if they want thyre gonna find a way to take it. To prevent a tow when you park you car turn the wheels al the way one side and lock it... Just my .02

Better get more than one kill method:biggrin:

You're absolutely correct that is somebody wants the car, they'll find a way to get it- even if the wheels turned and locked. A friend who owns a wrecker used to keep gallons of liquid soap on his truck; he'd hook up the rear (or front) of the car, and dump a couple of gallons in front of the locked wheels- zero friction, and he'd pull the car up the ramp, and be on his way...

Rob, you'll probably do best asking for PM suggestions- don't want to give away any secrets to the thieves.....

Better get more than one kill method:biggrin:

You're absolutely correct that is somebody wants the car, they'll find a way to get it- even if the wheels turned and locked. A friend who owns a wrecker used to keep gallons of liquid soap on his truck; he'd hook up the rear (or front) of the car, and dump a couple of gallons in front of the locked wheels- zero friction, and he'd pull the car up the ramp, and be on his way...

Rob, you'll probably do best asking for PM suggestions- don't want to give away any secrets to the thieves.....

A crooked tow truck driver is our worst enemy. They drive around at all hours of the night, slithering through the streets and casing victims while we sleep. Not dissing all tow drivers but alot are crooked. I spent 18 years in the auto repair field and I have seen a lot of crazy things and heard stories I still cannot believe to this day. I had an Indy Fiero towed in that was almost driven away by the crook, but he was interrupted. So I fixed the door and column before the customer had a very intricate alarm installed. Well, 2 weeks later they got it, moved another car first to clear the way. Lo-Jack with a pager is the best bet, but as everybody knows it does not work everywhere. Some drivers will tow it to a remote place untill it "cools", meaning-if it is there a couple days later than no Lo-Jack. A noisy alarm with a pager, 2 sirens located in different places and a back up battery hidden and wired correctly so if the cars regular electrical system is shorted, the alarm will still work. My cousin was in car audio in Detroit and cars would come in with a long drill bit through the fender into the battery!! The club and brake lock are a deterrant for unskilled thieves, but everything can help slow them down. Column guards are better. If you parallel park your car, back it in so the rear wheels sit firmly against the curb, the driver will have to drag it out at least a little bit to either put dollies under the locked rear wheels or pull it out and turn the wrecker around. Time consuming and noisy. If your car sits somewhere, even in your garage install a video camera system. They are cheaper now than ever, but hide the cameras and recorder well. The kill switch is great for non-tow truck jobs. Intercept wires in a difficult to trace and repair/override area. I have been a master tech for 15 years and I know these cars very well, it could be very hard to trace and time consuming. Not what a thief wants. Having parts etched with the VIN is probably good too, most of these cars that are stolen are stripped. Short of living in the car with one in the chamber, I believe these are our best deterrants. Oh, just one more story to laugh about. This is probably illegal almost everywhere but I have a friend who had a Macho Trans Am years ago and it sat most of the time. Well, one day he noticed that someone had been inside the car trying to take the radio. So my buddy jammed some razor wire under the dash and made a nail board for the seat with a towel on top of it. Low and behold, a few days later he checked the car only to find his radio still there but a lot of blood everywhere!! Be safe.

Theft deterent.

My NP3 plated Sig Sauer .45 cal. P220. The round of choice is a 220 grain plus P jacketed hollow point. "Shoots Thru Schools". Always have an eye on it when its on the street.

on my regal i am doing this to it.
1-flat hood
2-reg. wheels
3-removing all t emblems
4-installing limited emblems
5-i never hot rod in my area ever i don't even play the radio

I own JAMIES TOWING & RECOVERY INC. here in michigan and let me tell ya, you will not be able to stop a tow/recovery truck. atleast like mine. i can pick it with the wheels off, turned, what ever!!

i suggest a boot to help detere tow trucks, also its more work for a tow truck driver if theres not alot of room near the car, try to park it so theres stuff near it, like other cars, or close to buildings, a curb isnt gonna do anything.

I live near detroit so i recover stolen cars everyday. my car will have a kill switch and a column lock, a pager alarm and it will never leave my site. this will be easy as my garage is attached with a hugh sliding glass door into my house :)

I too am doing the resto. and i for absolutly refuse to give up my car to some dirtbag without a fight.

here in mi. they will just car jack you when your not looking, just keep the doors locked and be ready to floor it at anytime. always be aware of your sourroundings.

jamie..

Back