You can type here any text you want

Suggestions on Aluminum Heads...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

thrlskr

Looking to purchase a set of Aluminum heads - seems like most run Champions but have heard great things about TA performance and the quality of their castings. I also like the idea of having the ability to use them on a different block down the line. Price point seems to be comparable but is the quality the same?

My goals are 600-700HP, will be running stock block with steel crank, billet caps, and roller cam.

Appreciate any suggestions/feedback on both.

Thanks,

Bill

i got my TA valve cover Dan@DLS also he did a custom setup were the K&N filter sit which make it look insane and different.
I'll take a couple of picture's for you can see

If you're going to spend the $$ for aluminum heads go with the TA's you won't regret it.

Neal

Thanks for the feedback - Neal. I've heard this from several so far and they are running their summer sale now so the price is hard to beat.

Once you commit to one its too expensive to back up and switch, I vote for TA as I have had 10yrs of problems with the Champions. I am impressed with TA as a company, top notch.
Mike

I would go with the TA's. A lot of guys stay with Champions after they crack because Tom ends up taking care of them when their heads crack, which is not a bad thing. I made my change because I don't want to spend $$ on heads that crack. So far I have made more hits on the TA's than my Champions ever did and the TA's are still good to go, also the car picked up BIG TIME when I switched. I don't even look or think about cracks anymore and I can tell you I looked at the Champions after every pass...... Something to consider.

Give Dan at DLS a call if you are looking for straight up answers on the level of work you need done to your TA heads to run where you want. Dan is a vendor for TA performance parts.

I had a set of Champions that cracked. I bought a set of TA SE heads. The TA heads bare weighed more than the Champions assembled.

I used the TA heads on my 109 block then I switched them onto the TA block.

Get the TA heads and be done with it.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Question for the people that suffered cracks in their GN1's:

Were the heads the older versions or the newer versions? I have a set that are 3 years old, 100's of passes and no cracks (yet.) I did have a few valve seats move, but that was corrected with a simple valve job. Just curious.

Were the heads the older versions or the newer versions? I have a set that are 3 years old, 100's of passes and no cracks (yet.) I did have a few valve seats move, but that was corrected with a simple valve job. Just curious.

Kevin,
I have had no problems with my champion heads. The one I have are from the latest castings (one the first sets). maybe I am not running the car hard enough to hurt them though.

I do think if some one is interested in making sure they get the right heads for their application Dan Strezo at DLS in wheatfield Indiana is the guy to talk to. He has plenty of expiriance with both brands and will shoot you straight. He has a reputation of making sure you meet your goal.

Champion Heads

I have Champion aluminum heads and haven't had any cracking problems. I know they are not the newest version since I bought them used a few years ago. I know I have been pushing them to their limits along with every other part on my GN. I also think it has a lot to do with your tune and any detonation. I can't say anything about TA Heads since I have never used them. Either way I don't think you can go wrong!
Jason
AffordableGN

The newer version Champion heads have the logo on the end of the head where the accessory bracket would mount. The older versions (3 by my count) have the logo on the side. The newest version are much less prone to cracking but the castings aren't as rugged as the TA heads. Both heads have similar air flow potential and should support the same H.P. level.

Neal

Attachments

• EBAY 001.jpg
    EBAY 001.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 711
Like those. I guess my math is off that would be the 5th version of the Champion head. The 4th generation ones had the logo on the end too.

Neal

My 2005 champion heads cracked on a street car that ran mid to high 11's. I would buy TA because it is 10 minutes from my house.

Shoddy tune up and detonation will bring out the weakness in the head sooner. The problem is just not enough material in the right areas. Tom has tried to address it (This time) but we'll see how it works out.

Oh, I forgot to mention you don't have to pay your machinist extra $$ to clearance your pushrods with the TA's!!!! :biggrin: :eek:

One extra question not to hijack the thread, but when is it worth it to invest in this type of head???After you hit the 10's or 9's.

One extra question not to hijack the thread, but when is it worth it to invest in this type of head???After you hit the 10's or 9's.

I would say low 11's I was running 11.30's with a 3 way valve job on my stock heads, car wouldn't go any faster. I put a set of ported Irons on and went 10.80's.

Back