Suggestions on fans?

BuickTV6

kicking butt Intercooled
Hey guys. I think im just about ready to install my TM IC kit. Had to wait forever on new parts! I got all new sensors, so, it cost me some good coin :(
Anyways, I am looking to run a duel fan setup on my car, as I heard it its the best way to keep underhood temps down. Is there any duel fan setup that will run controlled by the 87 ecm, that will directly boltup to the 84/5 rad? I Was going to use the 87 fan and shroud, but I heard they are too big to fit on the 84/5 rad. Also if, anyone can recommend a remedy for this problem, it would be appreiated. So I would like some suggestions please.. Thanks in advance guys

your best bet is to replace that tiny 84 radiator.i got a brand new modine 3 core for a v8 regal with a/c for under $100.got the larger metal hold-down thing from the junkyard and it bolted right in.

i am running the spal dual fans,but i'd bet you can get away with the dual ramcharger setup(lot less$$).

if you run an 87 ecm you can have it control the fan.you can wire it up yourself or casper's makes a plug and play harness.

later,sean

I have the larger V8 radiator but my stock fan shrowd no longer fits. I'm either going to trim the shrowd to fit or purchase a electrical fan setup from online or search a salvage yard.

yeah,when you go to the larger radiator it's easiest to lose all the stock crap(fan,shroud,etc)and go with an electric setup.

I was thinking about doing that, but the rad I have was new when i bought the car 3 years ago. Only had 8,000 miles on it. so I dont want to just throw out a new rad, and I am not sure if i would have the money to replace it right now. Had anyone put on an electric fan to their car with the 84/5 rad? If so, what kinda fan did you use, and how hard was it to do?

The stock 87 electric fan fits perfectly with the stock small radiator. I cut the part of my shroud where it went around the stock mechanical fan so it was just flat across and it looked factory and still held the radiator in place. I later upgraded to the bigger radiator and got the correct shroud off of a V8 olds in the junkyard. Hotwiring the stock fan made all the difference in the world. It really pushed a lot more air.

pics?

Hey Cool84, do you have pics, or could you give me exact instructios on how you did that? If anyone else has pics of their fan setup, it woiuld be much appreiated:)

-Todders

Hey Todd. My recommendation would be to do what I did... Go to the junk yard (Bucks should have lots) and get a fan and mounting bracket (top piece) from a FWD late 80's GM. The height and size of the fan is perfect and covers the 84-85 rad nicely. The bracket needs some cutting (it's plastic, no big deal) and I used tie-wraps to hold it in place.

check out the pics on my site:

http://www.alloutracing.com/Rides/GrandNational/fan.html

Good luck!

Dave

Dave - Why did you retain the factory clutch fan after installing the electric fan ?

Its in your pics still in its place - do you need it or can it be removed....

What year / make of car did you pull the elect fan from....FWD model ?

Hey HOTSIX, actually yea I did remove the mechanical clutch fan the day after taking those pictures :) It does nothing without the shroud except blow air all over the place.. plus it's dangerous when working on the car :)

I can't remember exactly the type of car, but most likely an 86 FWD GM like a century or something like that, take some measurements of your rad and you should have no problem finding a fan that fits in the yards. I found lots except most were smashed because of a front end collision.

Let us know how it goes!

Dave

OKay great thx dave.

I found a yard nearby that has a whack of elect fans alreadu pulled out and ready to buy.

Ill measure up and pick one out.

Do I need to worry about fan speed or anything like that ? I'm guessin NO.

How 'bout wiring it up....? Wire it to come on with ignition or hook it to a themostat...or wait for the 87 ecm conversion and hook it to that...?

hmm, for some reason my account got removed or something .. strange.. there goes my post count.. oh well :confused:

anyway.. good luck with the fan hotsix. I wired mine to a relay (just buy a headlight relay from the parts store) and to the ignition switch and to a manual switch. so, in order for my fan to be on, the key has to be on or accessory and my manual switch has to be on. oh, also i ran the positive lead for the fan right off the alternator with an inline fuse. that was my solution rather than finding a circuit under the dash for the fan :) if you draw the power from the radio circuit the radio will probably sound all screwy... mine did!

let me know if you have any questions, and keep us posted!

Dave

A fan from early 90s lincoln continental with the 3.8 fits the stock radiator so well. Integrated shroud etc..

I fired it up, and closed the hood, i could feel a vacuum cleaner effect through the grille!

Evan

BTW, the blades are tornado shaped, and the fan looks suspiciously like a perma-cool, but for 25 bucks it cant be beat!