You can type here any text you want

suggestions please/inconsistant drivability issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Amelio

Ok before I lay out what the car is doing let me give you a quick update on the past couple of months.......

Back in April I took the car to Reynolds for the event....prior to the event the car would break up real bad when i got into the boost. To make a long story short I found that it was breaking up to due it being to rich.....I leaned it out via the chip and the problem went away. The reason it was too fat is because I increased the size of my fuel feed line but not the retun.

Anyway went to the track car ran good other than being real rich, still had not increased my return. I ended up maxing out the chip on the fuel negative side.....either way the car pulled great with zero knock and pulled hard until I blew a head gasket......I had 116 in the tank and only 22psi of boost but I contribute the gasket failure to real bad knock on the street trying to get the tune right.

Ok so the present I just freshend up the engine,new rod and main bearings, fresh rings oil pump kit and gaskets. the car has been running for two weeks. On very light throttle the car will spit buck and pop like it is dropping a cylinder. That seems to go away once the car gets warm. After it is warm it seems to be fine under normal driving conditions until you get in it. At times it will pull great zero spit or sputter and zero knock however it does seem fat...820mv but still inconsistant sometime mid to low 700mv's. I did increase my fuel return line to a -6 but it is going into the factory hard line fitting on the fuel pump (may still be a restriction?) Other times I go WOT and it breaks up real bad somtimes with zero knock and sometimes with. Knowing the rich issue I had before I pulled out 10% of fuel and went wot....car pulled great zero knock.....made another pull this time no breaking up but detonation @747mv's and 4.7 knock??????

It is very inconsistant like that, I even say a few degress of knock a 820mv's and sometime zero knock at all.

Here is what I have checked please list anything you can think of I may have missed.....and I know I really need a PL but I have the car for sale and I am trying to not spend anymore money than I have.

Checked all grounds found a broken one made repair,check crank sensor for proper clearance. Checked ecu,chip and connections. checked all vacum lines. My O2 sensor cc look good, all other readings are dead on where they should be. I did have a quarter tank of 116 and topped it off with 93, I just read another post about bad fuel and I am not rulling that out.

What am I missing to check?

Sorry for the long post and thank you to those who have read it!

You sure the O2 is OK, I've read of one tank of 116 taking out the sensor. I'd guess you could say the same for the plugs, I fouled out some just running a bit of water testing out my alky system - they didn't even look bad but I replaced and problems went away.

well I can not say for sure but the cross counts look good, I am going to run a few tanks of 93 through the system then replace it. I am leaning more to a fuel quality issue now, I drove it today and as described before when it is cold it drops a cylinder and breaks up real bad just under very light throttle. As soon as the engine temp is up that problem goes away. Then the issue become detonation at WOT. Which if I do have bad fuel it will definitely act like this.

The only thing I can think to do is keep my foot out of it and run a few tanks of good 93 through it then check again.

yeah the fuel pump and coil and module were suspect, I have checked my fuel pump pressure and looks good I have not done a fuel volume check but I hooked up my secondary pump and the car gets real fat so I am confident it is not the pumps.

New plugs and wires are good I have checked with a spare coil pack and module same result.

I really feel it is a bad fuek issue which makes me think, I put 116 in it at the track popped a head gasket......fixed t now I am having this drivability problem that acts like bad fuel. If the 116 I put in is in fact bad fuel that would explain the popped head gasket at only 22psi...not cool if that is the case:mad:

Back