Super Alky Kit

TTA1326

I think I just got rescued by Razor's alky kit. I installed it along with the TurboTweak chip last weekend and finally got around to tuning it some this weekend. What I didn't think about was the fact that I also changed the actuator vacuum hoses and installed the "correct" smaller orifice for a TTA for the first time.

I was moving the boost up slowly, trying to get into the 20-21psi range. I was making slight adjustments, running the car and watching the knock gauge and knock retard. That habit of watching the knock to hard is what almost bit me.

I made what I thought was the last adjustment to get 21psi, the car was rock solid at 20psi on the previous run. I rolled into the car from about 30MPH (Did I mention that I watching the knock and not the boost?) and had no lights or knock retard all the way though 2nd. Once it hit 3rd gear I got the 1st green and then the 2nd green just a second later.

I looked at the knock retard in the next frame and it was 1.2°, so I glanced at the boost gauge and it was SLOWLY sweeping from 24-25psi! By the time I let out of it, the gauge had tickled 25.5 to 26psi or so. I was sick, I thought I had just trashed it.

I let out, got back down to normal speeds and hit recall on the Scan Master. 751 O2 and 1.9° retard! This is a stock motor with valve springs, stock turbo, intercooler, downpipe, and a bunch of bolt ons. Power plate, Hooker exhaust, K&N cone, Grumpy's MAF pipe, Razor's akly, Eric's chip, XP fuel pump, etc. Oh, and 30lbs stock replacement injectors!

I'm sure I put some more "wear and tear" into getting my first head gasket on this 45K car, but I'm still impressed that it all hung together. Edit: I'll be ordering a high pressure adjustable actuator tomorrow!

The 3 bar MAP increases alky as the boost increases.. thats why its there for issues with boost control.

I bet the car was moving pretty good :D

The 3 bar MAP increases alky as the boost increases.. thats why its there for issues with boost control.

I bet the car was moving pretty good :D

was probably moving REAL GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it's no fluke. I took it out again this afternoon (Looking for punishment I guess), and rolled into it from about 30MPH again. It pegs 21psi in 1st with zero traction and starts creeping IMMEDIATELY after the 1-2 shift (Locked converter really loads it up I guess). It hit 24psi before the 2-3 shift and got to 25psi in 3rd before I let out. 781 O2 and 0.0° knock retard.

I guess that means I can run 25psi with this alky kit and a TurboTweak chip? I also guess that the smaller orifice in the boost hoses causes more drastic creep? I used to run 21psi on race gas and had no creep. Does that make sense to anybody? I've been in MUCH faster GN's with more mods, but this car does pull really hard for a stock turbo. I swear the damn thing will get sideways on the 1-2 shift and leave 20 feet of rubber doing it (CK shift kit!).

Well, it's no fluke. I took it out again this afternoon (Looking for punishment I guess), and rolled into it from about 30MPH again. It pegs 21psi in 1st with zero traction and starts creeping IMMEDIATELY after the 1-2 shift (Locked converter really loads it up I guess). It hit 24psi before the 2-3 shift and got to 25psi in 3rd before I let out. 781 O2 and 0.0° knock retard.

I guess that means I can run 25psi with this alky kit and a TurboTweak chip? I also guess that the smaller orifice in the boost hoses causes more drastic creep? I used to run 21psi on race gas and had no creep. Does that make sense to anybody? I've been in MUCH faster GN's with more mods, but this car does pull really hard for a stock turbo. I swear the damn thing will get sideways on the 1-2 shift and leave 20 feet of rubber doing it (CK shift kit!).

meth makes power

Now what?

I put a brand new high pressure adjustable wastegate actuator on the car this weekend and still can't control the boost. It's different now, but still not right. I set the rod as long as possible without moving the wastegate.

I rolled into it from about 40MPH and got a spike to about 23-24psi at first, but then it settled right back down to 22psi until I let out around half way through 3rd gear. That was with the torque converter unlocked.

Next I kicked it down from a roll (About 10MPH) and it did just the opposite. It went to 22psi (With all kinds of tire spin) until the 1-2 shift, and then it jumped straight to 25psi all the way through 2nd and 3rd. That was with the torque converter locked.

Now what? Time to take this issue to another forum?

Is your wastegate hole ported as much as it can be? Have you tried hooking up the wastegate tuner style without the solenoid?
I have run without a solenoid for years on everything froma stock turbo to the current one (with a grainger valve to help spooling) and I never get a spike or creep, even after loading it up with a locked converter.

Hook it up tuner style. That is hose from turbo straight to WG.

Report back.

Is your wastegate hole ported as much as it can be? Have you tried hooking up the wastegate tuner style without the solenoid?

I have been doing some searching and reading on those very issues. The turbo is stock and completely untouched. I'm reading about enlarging the wastegate hole on GNTType.org. I already have an extra stock exhaust housing and elbow that I got from our friendly junk dealer!

I haven't tried tuner style, but I do have an RJC Hybrid boost controller that I may try out for the first time this weekend.

I seriously doubt that I will be able to try this again before Saturday. But, I have an extra stock exhaust housing with the complete matching elbow. I can drop it off at the machine shop tomorrow afternoon and have it back Thursday afternoon with a 0.937 or 0.938 wastegate hole. That would leave me ready to change it out Saturday if it turns out to be the problem.

Any problems with this idea?

Hook it up tuner style. That is hose from turbo straight to WG.

Report back.

I ran a new 7/32" hose from the turbo to the wastegate actuator and made NO other changes. It now holds about 13psi in all gears with the converter unlocked and slightly less with the converter locked (About 11 to 12psi). This is with a brand new high pressure wastegate actuator that has the rod set as long as possible without moving the wastegate.

Now what? Start shortening the rod and see if it holds? It will have to be turned in a long way to get back in the 23 to 25psi range.

Well hello.. we have 13 PSI.. meaning we have a starting point.

Now work on it :D