You can type here any text you want

suspension question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I'm not sure if any of them used the F41 suspension , many that I have seen including my 85 t-type have the FE2 touring suspension. I could be wrong though , mabey someone else knows more about this than I do. I'm just going on what I can remember seeing on some other cars and my own personal one.

If parallel parking is your passion and you’re not into cruising through the twisties, do not perform this modification. One-finger steering will be a thing of the past. But if you’d like your old A-body to respond to your command then the ’85-87 Monte Carlo SS Steering Gear installed into ’70 A-body will give you all that. This is a very nice addition, especially if you’ve upgraded your front suspension with Global West or Hotchkis tubular A-arms and a larger front swaybar, 17” wheels and speed rated rubber. The new gearbox provides 12.7:1 ratio/2.75 turns lock-lock. This gearbox gives a MUCH firmer feel to the steering wheel with improved feedback from the road and quicker (immediate) response to your input. Check any G-body car with the F-41 suspension (442, Monte Carlo SS, GN, [Grand Prix SCJ??]) for the correct gear. In my case, I replaced a ’70-81 Trans Am steering gear which is a faster ratio than the stock GS, but this box provides a very noticable improvement over the TA box and might be easier to find in the junkyard.

If you can not find one in a salvage yard: Dave McGuire states: A reman unit from Autozone for $168 including tax & shipping. Their part # 6561. If you just search their catalog it is almost impossible to find so use their part # to do your search. Nobody else even came close to this price. Once you get the parts to convert the fittings, everything else is drop in and bolt up. Before replacing, it was 4 full revolutions full left to right and after it was a little over 2 1/2. Even more important, the control that you gain is immeasurable. I only wish I had done it long ago.

Your stock A-body pump fittings will need to be adapted to fit the new metric steering gear.G-Machine Steering

my buddy is looking to do this

If parallel parking is your passion and you’re not into cruising through the twisties, do not perform this modification. One-finger steering will be a thing of the past. But if you’d like your old A-body to respond to your command then the ’85-87 Monte Carlo SS Steering Gear installed into ’70 A-body will give you all that. This is a very nice addition, especially if you’ve upgraded your front suspension with Global West or Hotchkis tubular A-arms and a larger front swaybar, 17” wheels and speed rated rubber. The new gearbox provides 12.7:1 ratio/2.75 turns lock-lock. This gearbox gives a MUCH firmer feel to the steering wheel with improved feedback from the road and quicker (immediate) response to your input. Check any G-body car with the F-41 suspension (442, Monte Carlo SS, GN, [Grand Prix SCJ??]) for the correct gear. In my case, I replaced a ’70-81 Trans Am steering gear which is a faster ratio than the stock GS, but this box provides a very noticable improvement over the TA box and might be easier to find in the junkyard.

If you can not find one in a salvage yard: Dave McGuire states: A reman unit from Autozone for $168 including tax & shipping. Their part # 6561. If you just search their catalog it is almost impossible to find so use their part # to do your search. Nobody else even came close to this price. Once you get the parts to convert the fittings, everything else is drop in and bolt up. Before replacing, it was 4 full revolutions full left to right and after it was a little over 2 1/2. Even more important, the control that you gain is immeasurable. I only wish I had done it long ago.

Your stock A-body pump fittings will need to be adapted to fit the new metric steering gear.G-Machine Steering

my buddy is looking to do this

All G-bodys with F41,FE2,FE3 use the same gear box. It is even the same gear box that the 3rd gen Camarobirds with Z28,WS6 or 16" wheels used. Tons of them in the boneyards in other words.

Back