Switch from regular to synthetic oil???

Synthetics and mineral based oils should NOT be mixed..

1. There is no reason to because the mineral based oils will just contaminate the synthetics and the synthetics can't do their job of protecting the parts.
2. Mineral based oils and synthetics WILL separate when sitting.

Think of mixing oil and water. Technically they don't mix but if you agitate them enough they will "mix" but your not getting the full benifit of the oil for protection. Will mixing them hurt anything? No. But it is a waste of $$. The syn's bond strength is 10x more than mineral based oils. When you mix them the mineral based oil molecules will get in between the synthetic molecules and prevents the Syn's from developing a strong molecular bond.

The extra one qt that you are adding is a waste of $$. In order to properly get the full benifit from synthetics you "should" flush the engine with 4 qts of synthetic then drain it out then refill it with new synthetic. Naturally I don't do this because of the cost but the mineral based oil will leave waxes which contaminates sythetics which prevents them from doing their job at full potential.
I HAD great info on my web page on Synthetics until geocities shut it down. I am in the process of redoing everything again but I don't have this info up yet.

hth's
ks
:cool: