You can type here any text you want

Syclone w/ free/cheap mods vs. STI with the same

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickpower

polytetrafluoroethylene
Well like the title says, which do you think would win in a drag race? by mods i mean simple stuff like cold air intake, chip, and maybe raising boost a little within the limits of pump gas.

think my money would be on the sti with simple mods like stated but if the boost was turned up on race gas might go either way.

Sy's ran a low 13 stock from what I've read, I don't think an STI can pull that off. The other thing is if you cheat and ice the water to air setup on the Sy, no prob. I've got a Sy I/C and I'm gonna use it on a Buick motor in a swap. In addition to an ice bucket. ED:flaked, got my acronyms bass ackwards, thought he said TSI not STI. In need of a brain transplant. STI would be a nasty race regardless of which way you cut it, be a close race regardless in my book.

Depends on the syclone. Most sti s are good for mid to low 13s right off the dealer floor. While alot of people with sys can or have run these same numbers stock, I hear alot of them can also be in the 14s and 15s. And some of these 14 and 15 second cars are owned by hardcore turbo enthusist who know how to tune and drive. But I'm pulling for the sy with the BPU mods.

This is true. Not all Sy's were created equal. Some of us are faster than others.

Got a Sy with chipping and a Dp that is in the low 12's...not mine, but I have ridden in it several times....The STI would be sent home crying. Oh yeah, thats pump gas too.

i raced one in oregon that i beleive was stock that went 14.0 and 13.9 .

If there is money involved Id buy a ultimate chip, has he done the ic replacement lines, up the timing and race gas. This is for the Sy.

Um guys I hate to break it to you, I am a GM man myself, but i'm pretty sure that any turbo/chip/ic/fuel mod you can do on the sy you can do an equal one on the STI. Sti 's are capable of 12s with the same simple mods as well. But I like the fact they are both awd.

true

yup, that's the point of the thread, to determine which one of the vehicles would respond better to light mods. Naturally i am neglecting the variable of driver ability, i am wondering about the potential of the machines themselves.

I don't think its a matter of how each responds to "simple" mods, its a matter of how well the mods work...ie, which down pipe is better for that application, which tune is better. There a hundreds of chipping variations for a syclone...which one you chose, or wether you do your own chip is what makes the difference.

Never owned a Syclone, but love 'em anyways. I do however own an STi. While I don't think the STi is "king of the mountain", stock for stock and with equal drivers, I feel it would be the STi comin' in first. HOWEVER, the STi will NOT respond to simple mods near as well as the Syclone. The STi's ECU is quite finicky. In order to make any serious hp/tq figures, you have to have some form of engine management, which can cost in excess of $1k for a programable/tuneable type. That being said, throw mods at each equally, and w/o engine management, the STi will go down HARD!....

Also an STi owner, longtime Sy lover. Depending on what mods are done to the STi ~2k (TBE, piggyback, tune) will get into mid 12's. I dont know how well the Sy would go with that, but I do know that the Sy would be cheaper route. BTW: intakes actually slow down the STi. Stock I hit 13.2@101 with the STi. With my set up now I should be low 12's with a tune, new turbo/inj/pump hopefully high 11's.

Nick

Well my best friend went 12.6 with a FMIC,chip, Fuel pump and CIA. He went mid 13's all day when he was bone stock. Another friend has an STI with a CIA,exhaust and a couple of other little things and has gone like 13.0 flat.

Like was stated the STI's are much less bolt on friendly than the SY/TY's are. $ for $ bolt ons I would take the Syclone everytime.

sti=5 shifts in 1/4 mile. Did you checkout evo vs sti day in englishtown? i was there. STI's got destroyed, why? because even though the sti has more displacement, the knockprone ej25T motor isnt that great. with minor bolt ons, the evo owned the sti. an sti with 420awhp only ran 12.0 thats with an FP green and a 1.7 60foot. meanwhile an evo with 360whp runs 11.805 all day long! anyway, I think the syclone would win. the sti depends on the driver...TMIC=heat soak. the sti is a cool car, but the big flapping wings/hood really hinder it.

Back