Next Turbo and Upgrades Step Input

SpeedRacerX

Ok, so after 3 seasons of building up the foundation of this 87 GN, it's time for me to start planning for a big (to me) step up in the Spring. Car looks great and is a comfortable cruiser so I don't want to turn it into a full blown race car at this time. Just want something a little more badazz on the street and capable of low-to-mid 11's all day long rather than just 1 fluke pass. Actually, maybe I should be more specific and say E.T. as low as possible (10.9x ???) before dipping into the motor with heads, cam, pistons, rods, etc. Is that even possible?

Full mods are in my signature for suspension, tires, etc. Transmission and Converter will be addressed prior to any jump in performance.

At a high-level, current performance mods are:

TA-49 Turbo, AlkyControl Meth Kit, CAS V4S SLIC, TR Custom Big Mouth Cold Air Intake, QTP 3" Electric Cutout, Billet Inlet Bell, FabWorx 3" TH style SS Downpipe, 3" SS Test Pipe w/Dump, Pypes Catback, Hallman Boost Controller, Updated TurboTweak Alky Chip, Eaton Posi, 42# Injectors, Fuel Pump, Hot Wire, Racetronix AFPR, Injector Harness, RJC Plate, Valve Springs, 160 Thermo, Scanmaster.

Been doing a lot of research here and it seems the next leap up could be something like the following:

TE60 or 6262 Turbo, Pulleys, Dual Fans, Front Mount, 60# Injectors, maybe headers, bigger Plenum/TB/Power Plate, LT1 MAF or Translator.

Am I on the right track or is there something bigger/better I should be targeting?

6.8 to 7.2 in the 1/8th all day long on low boost...easy tune...easy launch...in shit air...is in my sig. It honestly doesn't take much. A good convertor is essential...and the power is in the heads. Anything quicker than 11.5 requires safety equipment. Ready to cut your car up?

Should be a high 11 second car now maybe faster if it's tuned well. Maybe some 60# injectors and a 6262.

6.8 to 7.2 in the 1/8th all day long on low boost...easy tune...easy launch...in shit air...is in my sig. It honestly doesn't take much. A good convertor is essential...and the power is in the heads. Anything quicker than 11.5 requires safety equipment. Ready to cut your car up?

I am not ready to cut my car up but I would like to get asked to leave one day. LOL.

Should be a high 11 second car now maybe faster if it's tuned well. Maybe some 60# injectors and a 6262.
12.2@109.5 w/1.65 60-foot so far with boost stuck at 22#. Now that I corrected that and can push it to 25#, so yes, should run at least 11.9x. I'll be at Atco very soon as the weather cools to get that 11.9.

You did say all day...lol! I see no mention of heads...which would make it easier. Maybe get out to the track and practice and tune with what you have...just a thot.

You did say all day...lol! I see no mention of heads...which would make it easier. Maybe get out to the track and practice and tune with what you have...just a thot.

I guess by "all day" I meant day-to-day capable. Here's what I mean, right now someone would ask me, "what does your car run?" and I would say, "it's a low 12s car that should have an 11.9 in her." Or, you don't call a Hellcat a low 12s car, you call it a low 11s car all day that can dip into the 10s. I want to be able to back it up if I say, "it's a mid-to-low 11 second car" just as it sits, repeatable and not by one miracle, negative DA pass. Sorry if I'm not explaining this well.

SpeedRacerX I'm in the same situation , you can see my upgrades in sig , I still have stock heads , Tranny and converter . I get ask all the time about how fast is my car and my goal is a solid high 11 sec car . I'm not wanting to remove my heads to port since they have never been off the car and only has 72xxx miles . Good luck on your to the 11s . Keith

I understand fully. I bracket race my car most weekends...running anywhere from 6.8-7.2 in the 1/8th. I ran a 7.2x dial 3 weeks ago and it went 7.2x every pass for a total of 7 runs in the afternoon in the heat and humidity with easy 1.8 launches.

If I was where you are at now, I would not add any parts. A stock cam and heads are a good match for a TA-49. Does you 49 have a garret exhaust housing? A stock convertor with a TA-49/ garret exhaust housing is good for mid 11s no problem. If your trans is solid keep tuning your current combo, will help tremendously when you upgrade to have made sure you are able to get good performance with your current combo.

If I was where you are at now, I would not add any parts. A stock cam and heads are a good match for a TA-49. Does you 49 have a garret exhaust housing? A stock convertor with a TA-49/ garret exhaust housing is good for mid 11s no problem. If your trans is solid keep tuning your current combo, will help tremendously when you upgrade to have made sure you are able to get good performance with your current combo.
Yes, garret exhaust housing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yes, garret exhaust housing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I would imagine with some seat time and really working the tune you can get solid mid 11s. Getting the alky to gasoline right, and the best AFR takes some work. I know others have went faster with a 49, but it really takes some doing IMO. The stock converter is a good match for the 49. I went 11.66 on the stock converter with a 44. Just needs good brakes because you have to really stand on it on the line. If your D5 will stall up to 3500-3600 rpm under boost on the line you should be good. You will have to work fuel and timing to get the most out of it, and find that ideal boost level, goes without saying.