T&D roller rocker adj.?

JASON

THE ORIGANL FREAKZILLA
I have a set of t&d adj. roller rockers and want to know the BEST way to set them for PERFORMANCE !! I have herd everything from "hot-lash" to 0030-0035 to 0060 any ideas? thanks

TD adj??

Jason, I put a dial indicator in the p. rod cup on 1 rocker,[ rocker in the vise] and turned the screw 1 turn to find out what dimension of adjustment took place in 1 turn. I think mine were like, .050"/turn. Once the rockers are installed and p. rod clearance is CHECKED, I then set the lifter on base circle and ran the adjuster down until I felt the cup tighten on the p. rod. I then turned the screw another 2/3 turn, [that gave me .033 preload.] Lock the jam nut while holding the allen wrench so you don't change the adj...:cool: :cool: :cool:

I used that method for initial fire up but later took off the valve covers and made some oil splash shields out of cardboard and adjusted them 1/2 turn after quiet.1/4 turn at a time. My first buick V-6, but a hydraulic lifter is a hydraulic lifter. sounds great after this adjustment. just my 2 cents.

TOM

I may be missing something here but are you implying you adjusted them with the motor running? "1/2 turn after quiet"

It's not a small block.

You're probably right anyway, a motor is a motor.

yes that is correct. It is a hydraulic lifter. The manufacturer suggested 1 whole turn. Almost all of them suggest this. Every motor I have ever built in the past 20 yrs. I have adjusted them that way. It is hard to set them correct with a new lifter that is not pumped up. So I just get em close as I can... Then after cam breakin I go back and do an adjustment while it is idling. Works everytime. Different strokes for different folks. If this will cause any problems in your opinion please let me know. Maybe I can learn something.

I think Nashty was wondering - as I am - how you adjust the rocker with the engine running, and the adjusting nut attached to the pushrod end of the rocker arm jumping up and down at 100 times per minute or so? Do us a favor and videotape yourself doing it.

Bad mental picture: Janet Reno adjusting rockers. :eek:

I was laughing as hard as you were with that last reply. I can assure you this is not a Janet Reno video. First and foremost do 1 cylinder at a time. Start with #6 as this is the most difficult one and you want to get the turbo side done first. engine off, loosen jam nut. Insert universal flexible carburetor tool with the 3/16ths allen head screw attatchment to the adjusting screw. sometimes it will slip out but it is easily inserted even with engine at idle. Have wife start up car. Let idle come down then back off till you hear a light clatter and tighten till just quiet. then go 1/4 turn and let engine smooth out. Go 1/4 turn again let engine smooth out again. while holding the adjustment with the flexible tool,have wife turn off motor. tighten jamnut. Repeat 11 more times. If necessary call Janet Reno if you don't have a wife that will help. ;)
Please send me a video tape if you decide to call her.

I am relatively new to the turbo V-6 so I am more concerned I guess if in anyones opinion this could be harmful or impede performance in this motor.

Years ago I had a Mini Cooper S and used to adjust the valves with the engine running and a FEELER GAUGE stuck under the rocker arm. You'd turn the screw down 'til it stopped tapping, tighten down and pull the feeler out. I think it was around .015 thick...been too many years to remember. The engine builder, who's son still races (Huffacker) and was National Champion last year, always did them that way.

As long as you know what's within specs, there's more than one way to skin a yoda. :)