Taking off the cat

Shane

Hey all-
I'm in the process of finally installing the electric exhaust cutout that I ordered like a year ago. Problem is that I can't get the damned cat off. The bolts are rusted on, and I can't quite get a wrench around them because of built on rust. Any ideas? Keep in mind that I am working on this car in my barracks parking lot, so the luxury of impact wrenches and cutting torches are not at hand. I do have all the hand tools I should need, and a blowtorch, and a ton of WD-40. As always, input is appreciated.

I removed my original cat just 2 years ago. It was a b$%$^h. I had to use a cut-off wheel and cut the 4 bolts. Then I had to jack the car up to the stratosphere to remove the whole downpipe and do some creative cutting in the cat to get it off the downpipe. In hind sight, I could have left the DP on, but I was expecting to get a bit more leverage on it with it removed.

Good luck with it.

Here's an idea... what if I get another cat, and go to an exhaust shop to have them put it on. When they put it on the bolts will be new, obviously, and much easier to take off.

Any thoughts on that?

Also, anyone in CT have a cat that I can borrow for a weekend?

Well damn. If you're gonna do that, then take everything to the muffler shop. Ask them to flange the DP side of the cat, the DP and flange your test pipe so that you can remove and install the cat for "track use only".

I agree with scottyb, just take it to the muff shop and get it done right the first time. Don't break your back over it unless you have tons of time on your hands. Being military, I know you don't ;)

Ray

Originally posted by scottyb
Well damn. If you're gonna do that, then take everything to the muffler shop. Ask them to flange the DP side of the cat, the DP and flange your test pipe so that you can remove and install the cat for "track use only".

Yeah, see my whole idea of taking it to the muffler shop came from the fact that I dont think that I will be able to find a shop to install the pipe. I'll have to search around, I might be able to find one that's shady enough.

New Car
Same Dump Pipe
New Problem

I can get all the bolts off, and the cat nearly off, but the down pipe doesn't want to let it go. I wiggle and wiggle, and it just moves the downpipe. I'm afraid of breaking something.

I tried a hammer, chisle, and a air chisle and no dice.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG THIS TIME?

I made a couple of relief cuts with an air cutoff tool along the length of the pipe on the cat that slides over the downpipe. Then I got a friend and we both twisted and pulled until it finally came off. I think that brute force is what is called for. :D

You have to make releif cuts as noted above because the 'U' clamp from the factory puts a crease in both the DP and the cat, making it impossible to pull apart until some slits are cut along the length of the cat pipe where it connects to the DP and then pry up the sides with a screwdriver until it will slide off. Be careful to only cut the cat pipe and not all the way through on the DP.
I did this on my TTA carefully making my cat easy to slide on and off to put a test pipe on....just don't tighten the U-clamp down very tight next time around :)

Well, I used a Dremel.

I had better control I think.

I was removing the exhuast from the "Y" pipe back. I made 2 cuts ALMOST all the way through (I was sure I did not sut through the "good" pipe), them I hammered a crappy screwdriver (flathead) inbetween the pipe, that is what made it break the rest of the "cut" on the pipe (obviously the one I was getting rid of) Then I would have this "flap" that I was able to peel off and the darn pipe nearly fell off!!!

well my cat is a 13 yr old tortoise shell short hair. shes a lovable feline and the best pet ever. plz dont get rid of your cat, spay or neuter instead.

Originally posted by turbo buicks
well my cat is a 13 yr old tortoise shell short hair. shes a lovable feline and the best pet ever. plz dont get rid of your cat, spay or neuter instead.

*rimshot*

Ok guys, thanks. I will give that a shot.

I had to do exactly the same thing. I used a dremel for the relief cuts also, you can make precise cuts as was stated before.

I had to cut the bolts off of the other side too.

I guess you could say the ravages of time took their toll on the entire exhaust.

C4,

Seriously, I don't know why anyone would want to do exhaust work on their back, in their gravel driveway, without impact tools and a torch. Muffler shops are cheap, and they save your back, your knuckles, your eyes...

problem is getting a muffler shop to even talk to you after mentioning the words "cat" and "removal" in the same sentence.

problem is getting a muffler shop to even talk to you after mentioning the words "cat" and "removal" in the same sentence.

You gotta go to the little mans muffler shop and add the magic word "$CASH$" in that sentence. The guys around here just pocket the "illegal money" anyway.