TCC Polarity--new versus old question

Clay Thompson

I have burned out the diodes in original GM TCCs by not knowing that the red wire from the TCC was supposed to be connected only to the plus side of the battery and hooking the red TCC lead to ground thinking, since its DC current, it had no polarity. After this happened twice I simply disassembled the TCC and found the presence of the diode bypassed the diode and I have since tried to be mindful of which TCC lead is red.

My question is do newer TCCs have this same polarity requirement or can newer TCCs be connected without regard for polarity?

As far as I know, all of the TCC solenoids retain the diode. It's a safety valve against a reverse, high-voltage spike from going back to the ECM.

How to check?

Thanks for your quick response Mean Buicks. You confirmed my worst fear, at least regarding the TCC.

Is there any way to determine the TCC polarity without removing the oil pan and looking at the wires?

If you run a resistance check with a multimeter, you'll only get a reading if you have the positive tester lead hooked to the positive solenoid lead. Otherwise, the test current can't get through the diode.

Clay, you kill me.

Didn't believe me eh Clay?

LOL

Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME