tell me about NC...thinking about moving

loki993

well the time may be coming soon where me and the GF may have to move...again. jobs here are not going well. ive always mentioned NC offhand from time to time. I think the climate should be relatively mild..were in Fl right now. not insanely hot in the summer...not freezing in the winter. well ive been doing some research over the past few days and have seem that the raleigh area is basically loaded with tech jobs...the business in trying to get into. also ive been researching charlotte, ive found out that that city is a major financial center, the business my GF is in, plus they also have a large amount of tech jobs. here are my questions id like to know about both raleigh and charlotte:

1. cost of living, you know average rental price, house preferably.
2. how far out of the city do you have to go to not really be in the city anymore, wouldnt mind living in a place with a bit of land, but dont want to be an hour for town either.
3. are there really as many jobs as it seems??
4. weather, is it mild
5. good places to live, bad places to live and why.

thats all I can think of for now, thanks, I know its a lot.

here are my questions id like to know about both raleigh and charlotte:

1. cost of living, you know average rental price, house preferably.
2. how far out of the city do you have to go to not really be in the city anymore, wouldnt mind living in a place with a bit of land, but dont want to be an hour for town either.
3. are there really as many jobs as it seems??
4. weather, is it mild
5. good places to live, bad places to live and why.

thats all I can think of for now, thanks, I know its a lot.

NC is a great place to live. I'll answer what I can, I live in a rural area, but we have many members who live in the Charlotte & Raleigh areas, and would be able to input their perspectives on those areas.
1- I'm not an economist, but cost of living is relatively cheap. I'd guess a median price for a new home construction would be in the $125-150,000 range. Many new developments have some steeper prices. Rental homes of decent size in good areas can be found for under $700/mo, average would probably fall into the mid $500 range.
2- I live about 10 minutes from downtown High Point, about 1/2 hour to downtown Greensboro or Winston Salem, and am not in the sticks, but far enough out to have breathing room from neighbors. Basically you can go 15-20 minutes from city areas and be in a area that ranges from mildly to mostly rural. Good interstate highways make commuting easy & quick. I can be in either Raleigh or Charlotte in an hour.
3-There are technical jobs in the area. The Triad area is experiencing a good economic boom with companies such as Honda Jet, Dell, RF Micro, SkyBus.
4- Weather is good, this year has been an exception, but usuually summers are in the 80-95 range, fairly humid though. Winters are more in the 50 degree range days ,30 degree nights. Occasional snow or ice, every now and then we get whacked with a good snow, but not often.
5- Good places to live,there are many.If you are going near a large city such as Raleigh/Charlotte, look just outside the main county of those cities for lower taxes, less traffic/congestion, cheaper housing. You can go 20 minutes out and save a ton on those costs, as well as lower crime rates. Guilford, Wake , Mecklenberg, Cabarrus counties are high, v/s Rowan,Stanley, Randolph, Chatham, Orange counties are lower.
6- Check out local websites such as gotriad.com or digtriad.com(not sure if those are the correct links, you can try newsandrecord.com for greater Greensboro area info and links, as well as check on the city links for Raleigh/ Charlotte for housing, etc costs.
7-Dang, we got a lot of turbo Regal owners here, plus we got Brian Weavy & Mike McCoy, so parts can be found easily. And Shane G lives in NC too, so we're basically a turbo Regal hub now:biggrin:

There are technical jobs in the area. The Triad area is experiencing a good economic boom with companies such as Honda Jet, Dell, RF Micro, SkyBus.

where is the triad exactly?? im familiar with the research triangle, which is raleigh, durham, chapel hills correct??

where is the triad exactly?? im familiar with the research triangle, which is raleigh, durham, chapel hills correct??
Correct, the Triangle area is Raleigh/Durham/ Chapel Hill. The triad area is Greensboro / Winston Salem / High Point. Located about smack in the middle of the state