Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 77-85 LeSabre Coupe

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other (please post other suggestions)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CTX-SLPR

Howdy ya'll,

Well the Engine is on hold while I get settled in here in Nashville but I think I can have it in ready to run in basic form, ie no turbo but everything else, around about February. Since the task of dropping it into my Riviera is quite complex, the oil, cooling, and brake systems especially, I think its best that I test out my hybrid Stage/Series II gerotor cover, L67 ECM, and associated tuning issues on a car with less variables and fabrication. To this end I need a vehicle that came with EFI, a TH200-4R, and a 3.8L V6 or B350. What I've come up with (the Buick models atleast) is Regal, Century, Electra, LeSabre, and the 77-78 Riviera. Throw in the El Camino and thats the good list of easy swaps. Narrow that down to the ones that are readily available, cheap, and something I'd use for more than just scrap afterwards and I get 3, the El Camino (it'd get an LT1/4L60E combo afterwards probably), the LeSabre coupe (again probably the LT1/4L60E combo, maybe an TBI B350), and the Riviera since I have a soft spot and its basically a high trim LeSabre.
The Elky gets the nod for the 4.3L EFI tanks being repoed and therefore easy EFI fuel system, ease of finding parts, and its usefulness as a parts hauler. The down side is that its a lot lighter than the '64 Riv, they aren't terribly plentiful at cheap prices in decent condition, I don't have any of the EFI fuel system on hand, and I'd be left with a lot of stuff I wouldn't be using on the Riv.
The LeSabre/Riv gets the nod for being cheap in decent shape, I already have a B-body EFI tank and pump assembly, its about the same if not heavier than the '64 Riv, I plan on using lots of B-body stuff on the Riv, and its not that much harder to find parts for than a A/G-body. The downside is that the coupes aren't terribly plentiful, it takes up a good bit of garage space, and while its around the same weight as the '64 Riv, its a huge amount of weight for a low compression, non-turbo 4.2L V6 to haul around when I'm getting my tuning practice in on the NA motor.

What do ya'll think would be a better testbed car if I planned to keep it and use it as a hauler or backup daily driver after its testbed days are through?

Thanks,