TH350 wide direct bushing

theo

Hi all,

I'm doing some research into the "wide direct drum bushing" mod on the th350, and I'm just managing to get myself more confused. :)

I've been reading through Ron Sessions' very good book about this trans, and I've found a couple of quotes that completely contradict each other...

It's mainly about what sort of direct drum bushing material to use on the 78-on stainless sleeved or 77-back non-stainless sleeved front pumps:

A few times in the book, it is mentioned that if you use a bronze direct drum bushing, this is ok for either a steel-sleeved pump OR an older cast iron one, but an aluminum bushing can ONLY be used on the older pump with the cast iron bushing journal

Obviously this is to do with the compatibility of these types of metal running against each other.

OK, fine - BUT then, at another part of the book, he says "never use the bronze bushing without the steel sleeve", as if to suggest the bronze bushing is no good on the cast iron pump :confused:

I've got extra-wide direct drum bushing, Clevite number 02446, which appears to be either white metal/Babbit or aluminum - so I'm now concerned that this type of bushing may not be suitable to run on a stainless sleeved pump??

Am I just dazed and confused about this? Is there a wide direct bushing that will happily run on EITHER of the older or newer pump journals?

Sorry for the essay, but it's a bit hard to explain in few words!

Cheers
Theo