You can type here any text you want

Thanks - Hooker Catback IN!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

joejakegrace

Many thanks to those who offerred advice.

First the muffler went from fine to shot (in one run) - 17k and I guess it had enough of the short drives and storage over the year. Pulled it out and the intermediate pipe also had a couple of holes.

Went with the Hooker system as it seemed like the BEST combination of close to stock, performance and price.

OK GUYS - this might have been the easiest piece of work I've ever done.

Had the old one out in 20 minutes. Drew templates on the new tailpipes for the angle at the end (hookers aren't angled) and brought them and the cut off tips to the local Midas. The muffler guy was great - cut out the tailpipe from my stock tips in 2 minutes. Worked WITH ME IN HIS SHOP to put the exact bend in the hookers - then angled the stock tips perfectly and welded them for me. Total time - 20 minutes. Total cost - priceless. He wouldn't charge me (the manager) so I slipped the guy who did the work 40 and I was in business.

Took the parts home. Sanded and painted the welds, polished the tips. Had the whole thing installed in 30 minutes - WHILE watching my 3 kids!!

Ok, minor advantage - I do have an expanded garage now and my car is up on a backyard buddy lift - IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE - and can fit it, GET IT. It saved me a day - no doubt. Same thing on when I do the tranny, rear end, radiator - heck anything.

I also reinstalled the STOCK airbox from the K&N - I managed to get a stocker from this forum. (the only thing on my car not stock). Ok, I haven't put it on any diagnostics, but it runs 100% better. Smooooth and just as competent. It really now runs like a 17k car. Until I can diagnose completely, I'm guessing that without exhaust leaks and a weird air balance, it's just more even.

Anyway - thanks for the exhaust advice. Hooker has it right - this is TRULY BOLT ON FOR OUR CARS (I only had to drill a hole in one of the hangers to raise it and get the muffler to hang perfectly even) - you wouldn't have noticed if I didn't anyway (witht he lift you see everything) Hooker/summit part - #16823

Dave

Hmm sounds like you had more luck than I had with my hooker. Driver side hanger is not stock, cut it off and welded on the stock one from my old sytem.

Muffler sits very tight against the heatshield and angle seems to be a problem fititng it properly due to the way you have to bolt the rear axle piece to the muffler so no way to adjust the muffler it self.

Intermediate pipe from cat to rear axle bend bit hangs down pretty close to the ground so not horizontal under the car, I cut mine a bit to fit better.

Did the same thing with my tips and had the end pipes bent to get the proper look of a stock setup. Cost me more than $40 on this side of the pond :( but turned out great.

Otherwise I'm happy with the system, sound, performance etc.

Ohhh did I mention the tight fit over the rear axle ... but it's a 3" system

hmmmmm....I hear you on the hanger. That's the one I drilled another hole in. It's sitting in the car hanger at about the 10:30 position when the car hanger is designed for 12:00 but it doesn't seem to be any problem. Axle clearance is a tad less than it appeared to be at stock. Lifting the left side up with the new hanger hole like I said alleviated any muffler issue. As to the intermediate pipe...maybe a hair lower but heck, there's lots of stuff up front that will bottom out first! - The cat and front pipe are still lower. I did some pretty aggressive starts and turns and had no issues.

Cheers!

Back