You can type here any text you want

THDP vs Ported elbow w/2 piece 3"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hang10

old surfboards wanted!!!
Any real advantage of using a THDP over a ported stock elbow with a 2 piece 3" downpipe? Thanks-Kurt

The only thing I noticed between the two is one seals better than the other. The two piece is a pain due to the donut gaskets and getting it to seal. The Houston or Mease downpipe is one piece and uses no gaskets the least prone to leak. Hp numbers between the one or two piece I've never seen. It would be nice to see somebody get on a dyno and see if there is any difference in Hp.

I didn't test a THDP against a 3" dp, but I did test it vs. a 2.5" down pipe. Here are my results:

Here's the numbers from the test performed at Buicks @ Bristol 2001. Everything else was equal except the elbow.

Ported elbow/2.5" ATR downpipe/testpipe:

11.840 @ 113.08
11.859 @ 114.66
11.836 @ 114.72

Average:

11.845 @ 114.15 (avg 60 ft 1.680)

Terry houston 3" DP/Capped dump pipe:

11.745 @ 115.36
11.788 @ 116.05
11.838 @ 115.62

Average:

11.790 @ 115.67 (avg 60 ft 1.687)

Difference = .055 seconds and 1.52 mph

The results surprised me. I thought the THDP would be worth more. These weren't even all the runs. If I factored in the others (made it an avg of 5 runs each) the stock elbow ET would be a little closer (though the mph would stay about the same).

You can't knock a 1.5 mph increase, but it appears to help the top end charge more than the ET. The rest of the combo is stock driveline, stock intercooler with a neck, bluetops, TA49, 275/60 BFG's weather was in the mid 60's, track elevation 1400 ft or so. Your results may vary.

good info UNGN. Id say it would be pretty damn close if ya used a 3" dp in place of the 2.5" then, wouldn't you?

Originally posted by FlyinGN
good info UNGN. Id say it would be pretty damn close if ya used a 3" dp in place of the 2.5" then, wouldn't you?

Yes, I would have to say that, too. There maybe a point where the elbow becomes a bottleneck and stays a bottleneck. It appears that only above 4700-4900 rpm did the THDP begin to make an impact on the timeslip, based on the higher mph and looking over the turbolink data. So a ported head/short tire/big converter car will likely benefit more from a THDP than a stock head/28" tire/D5 car.

I'll probably try the test again this year into the mid 11 to lower 11's with my new combination to see if the THDP will start to pull away from the ported elbow.

ive seen a few people make a down pipe by cutting the stock elbow while retaining the wastegate mechanism, welding on a 3" 90 degree elbow .
the rest of the dp is two 45's and another 90.

im sure this is the origin of the thdp.
add a bigger puck and ur set

i would do this if i had the time but instead im buying a thdp. but if ur capable this may be a good budget concious idea.

400 dollars is steep for such a simple design.HTH
surej

Back