You can type here any text you want

Thinking about notching the rear

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TwinyTwin

Hey everyone, I am getting my car back this weekend and have been contemplating on weather or not I should notch the rear frame to stuff some wider meats out back. Can anyone give me any pro/con of doing this before I make a mistake or regret it later. Will this weaken my frame? Will I have problems on hard launches? Any info is appreciated, thanks guys.

How wide are you planning to go?Notching frame on non street car is fine but will take away value on streeter if resold.Insurance guy might give you a hard time if ever need also.Custom axles may gain you some room depending on width ideas you have.These cars will hookup pretty well on tires offered today depending on your cars setup.Id say if its only for looks,dont do it.

Just be sure to re-enforce the frame rails REALLY good or you will get the quarter panel crease that pops in and out. Do a search, there are several treads concerning this. HTH
John

6APPEAL said:
Just be sure to re-enforce the frame rails REALLY good or you will get the quarter panel crease that pops in and out. Do a search, there are several treads concerning this. HTH
John
Twisting and warping is unfortunantly common place when this is done because most people doing this mod arent as knowledgable as need-be. I know of too many 10 and 9 sec TRs w/o this, that I'd skip it until necessary.

My notch that I'm working right now is Banning inspired ;)
Thank you very much Banning

There are plenty of 9 sec TRs running without notching the frame. 275X 60 15 DRs pulling 1.56 60s. Spend the money on more speed parts. Just my 02. :)

Trbobuick said:
Notch it. Nothing like a big tire in the back. I can fit 325/50/15s Without sticking out :

Brain

What is the backspace of the rear wheels? What kind of rear disc brakes are those?

Do you have fender flares on the front? What is the width and backspace of your front wheels? What size tires?

Sorry about all the questions, your pictures were fun to look at, thanks !!!!!!

chris said:
Brain

What is the backspace of the rear wheels? What kind of rear disc brakes are those?

Do you have fender flares on the front? What is the width and backspace of your front wheels? What size tires?

Sorry about all the questions, your pictures were fun to look at, thanks !!!!!!

4.5 inches of backspacing

Ford motor sport disk kit for ford bearing ends

No flares in the front.

3.5 bs in the front . 215/65/15

Back