This Is Crap!!!

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
So....restoring my 86 WH1 has been the project from hell! First, while sanding on the 1/4s...the punched through one which=patching. Then they try to tell me that my striping and side molding isn't factory (my dad bought the car new, trust me it was there!). I go to order all new seals/weatherstripping and Year One has everything on back order except the outer door piece. To top it all off, the shop has had my car since Aug. 29th and he told me that it would be done Sept. 18th. Guess what...still no car...but he is promising next friday. If I ever get my car back...I'll post some pics. I understand he is doing his thing and I don't want to rush him, but a simple "I don't know" would have done it instead of just pushing the date back every 2 weeks. Anyway....I'm done ranting now and I'll go back to surfing.

No offense to any bodymen on here, but most good ones are notoriously slow. My car went to the shop in November last year and I was supposed to get it back in April. I got it back in August after going to the shop everyday for at least a month. I was very upset and just as you said he kept promising to have it done "next Friday." I didn't pull my car from his shop because he gave me an excellent deal and had a reputation among car guys for doing good work. I am very happy with the end result. I have found a few minor problems, but he has always been more than willing to stand behind his work.

I know first hand that it is hard, but be patient, the end result is what really matters.

k here my 2 cents....there are USUALLY NO quick GOOD body shops;) ....I can see almost what happened now...you bring in your car an they have no idea whats under the paint....then ya start workin on it an surpise, surprise...its really hard doin "specialty" cars when ya can do an insurance job an whamm bammm out the door AND the money in your hand...been there an done it:cool: ya I have also had a car go to 4-5 different body shops over a 3-4 year period!!!! I ended up finishin it!!!! ahhhh the good ol days :mad:

What I've found is that you take any time estimate they give you and multiply by a factor of 3. If they say 3 months, that really means 9 months. :( As long as they know that you are most interested in a good job rather than a quick one, you'll be satisfied with the end result.

Originally posted by Tom Tom Turbo
Then they try to tell me that my striping and side molding isn't factory (my dad bought the car new, trust me it was there

Doesn't mean it's "factory". Many were "dealer installed". They could come from GM or be aftermarket.

I understand where you're coming from B4Black...I left this part out though...my dad was standing next to the truck when it arrived at the dealership and the molding was there. The dealership assured me that they never installed moldings/other parts unless the owner specified. Thanks for reassuring me guys...guess what!?!? he told me I'd have it back friday! hahaha

FWIW - You got me curious because I can't remember seeing an original '86 Regal without that black side molding. Pulled out the original window sticker and it was an option - code B88 - $55.00!

Molding

I worked for an automobile company that had to ship all there cars to the U.S.

We would install different components like stripping, a/c's, radios, wheel molding, driving lights and yes body side molding.

It was not Factory and it was not dealer applied, and it was delivered to the dealer as if it were factory.

just my history of molding.:cool:

I wouldn't even start to complain about your situation. My car has been in restoration since January 3rd. Granted I had an accident which prompted the resto, but like Grumpy said, once they start sanding and searching a whole new car of worms pops up. Then, finding the parts for these cars is near impossible for a shop. Luckily, there are people like Grumpy and Bweavy around to help out (in my case). But like I said, it's going on one year for mine. They do killer work, so I don't mind the time, but it is getting on my nerves. Good luck with your paint!!

This all sounds like crap...When they did get tothe body they should have told the man that hey there is more work here then we expected and it is going to take at least xx amount time to do this.

I am one that is tired of letting vendors that does not give you a break on what they are selling whether it is a good or service. They may tell you that you are getting a deal,but belive me they are not losing any money.

If they said a specific time then they should be held accountable. Hell even the contractors that build our schools are held to a completion date. If they are late then they pay us some $$.

I know you are not talking about 2 million dollar buildings but damm you are the one paying, he wants his money on time doesn't he? What if you told him that something has come up and you will pay him next Friday and then its the next friday and some months go by? Hell he would not even let you pick your car up with out paying.

STAND up to them! If they keep getting away with it then this will become the norm.

I dont know about this whole deal of sitting back while your car has been in the shop for almost a year. I had my car redone about a year ago, I made arrangments with the guy 3 months ahead of time, he looked the car over, and over and I told him what I wanted. He told me a date to bring it in and that it would take roughly a month. My car had a little rust repair, dings, and a very dented up roof. He ran into a few unexpected things which he corrected and even did more than what I asked for and still got the car done in a little over a month. and the job was very impressive and I'm very picky.

I think a good body shop will be honest with you and tell you how long it's gonna take, I would be pissed if a place kept telling me it will be done next week, and that keeps on happening, just my .02

Restored my 86 GN this year, 2 doors,2 qtr panels, used
t-top roof section and 140 hrs of my labor, one month
in the paint shop, like new. Be ready to spend big $$$
for a good resto and paint job!!!:D