You can type here any text you want

This Kid.....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboBrian

So this kid just got his license and thinks he's cool because hes driving his parents wrx sti wagon.... He claims my 86 Grand National is a " girls car " because its an automatic.... stupid ricer boy just doesn't know lol :ROFLMAO:

STi is a great car though...Mod for mod they are fairly comparable in straight line performance. Also dollar per dollar (after the purchase). Takes about equal spend to get either platform in the 11's, 10's, 9's, etc...

With the wrx you still have a car that handles and stops too, lol. In my house, she drives the WRX (actually a Saab 9-2x w/ STi motor swap) and I drive the TR's.

I also do not condone giving a kid who just got his license a 300+ hp car as his first car.

I don't care how safe they are, etc etc, I don't believe a kid should have any high hp/torque car as their first.
But that is just me, I learned how to drive in a Isuzu Trooper and then drove a beat up pickup all through high school.

I also do not condone giving a kid who just got his license a 300+ hp car as his first car.

I don't care how safe they are, etc etc, I don't believe a kid should have any high hp/torque car as their first.
But that is just me, I learned how to drive in a Isuzu Trooper and then drove a beat up pickup all through high school.

Probably a good rule of thumb...but depends on the kid. I started driving when I was 12 (we were out in the country). Bought myself a '68 camaro project that ran and drove and had every bit of 300+ hp when I was 14 (for $3k), then my dad for some reason bought me a nicer camaro that I started to make fast only to sell it for my first TR when I was 15. I've seen way more adults do way more dumb things in quick cars than I ever did in any of those 15 years ago. But kids (especially now) can be insanely stupid once the pissing contests start.

I think the harm is more in the kid not respecting what they have or how much it costs, and thus not taking proper care of it. Then being entitled $hit$ till well in to their 30's :-) If they don't have to pay for the car, or aren't faced with the potential of losing it, they'll be stupid.

Probably a good rule of thumb...but depends on the kid. I started driving when I was 12 (we were out in the country). Bought myself a '68 camaro project that ran and drove and had every bit of 300+ hp when I was 14 (for $3k), then my dad for some reason bought me a nicer camaro that I started to make fast only to sell it for my first TR when I was 15. I've seen way more adults do way more dumb things in quick cars than I ever did in any of those 15 years ago. But kids (especially now) can be insanely stupid once the pissing contests start.

I think the harm is more in the kid not respecting what they have or how much it costs, and thus not taking proper care of it. Then being entitled $hit$ till well in to their 30's :-) If they don't have to pay for the car, or aren't faced with the potential of losing it, they'll be stupid.
Couldn't have said it better... I'm actually 17 lol all I've had is muscle cars ( mustang Svo, z28 lt1 maro 6speed, trans am, now my gn ) and it's all weather you really care about what you have. And I know I do lol

I think the harm is more in the kid not respecting what they have or how much it costs, and thus not taking proper care of it. Then being entitled $hit$ till well in to their 30's :) If they don't have to pay for the car, or aren't faced with the potential of losing it, they'll be stupid.

I agree, there are exceptions, but really most people here who love TR's are going to be exceptions lol.
And you are also right, kids are especially stupid now.

Your last 3 sentences are spot on. I guess what I meant is, I have a hard time giving a 16-17 year old kid a 30k 300+ sporty car as their first car.

And No worries, I am "young" I bought my TR at 20 and have done tons of work to it myself and babied it. It's my dream car that I bought with my own money.
It definitely puts things into perspective (especially when stuff starts breaking and you have to pay to fix it all)

^^ Yes sir. My perspective completely changed once I was married, and has changed even more since kids. If my stuff has to sit, it'll sit. If it has to go for some reason, bye bye! It is about priorities.

The kids that are given stuff don't have to learn priorities, or have to learn very hard. This contributes to the pussification of the American male, as they grow in to whiny bitch victims, but that's a whole other topic that delves way to deep in to politics and morality for our little light-hearted discussion LOL!

Hahahaha, again very well put, and I totally agree.

I just started typing out a bunch more but deleted it, because as you said too deep for our light-hearted discussion lol.
Plus I'd just be agreeing and repeating most of what you just said.

any punk spoiled brat that makes a stupid statement like he did needs to be properly put in his place. The parents need a stupid slap for giving their youngster a dangerous weapon. odds are good he will hurt or kill himself or worse-others in that car. I see it all too often. That statement he made is a perfect example of his ignorance. Its a crying sham that a majority of the current crop of young wannabe gearheads are drawn to the riceburners. even if a rice burner has performance potential it doesn't make it anything other than what it is and that is far from cool, a real musclecar or a real classic. Fortunately, among the idiots there are a few kids that actually "get it" but they are a small minority. most of them are ignorant idiots that drive ridiculous looking 4 bangers that sound like chainsaws.

...most of them are ignorant idiots that drive ridiculous looking 4 bangers that sound like chainsaws.

I agree mostly. Are you saying our V6's sound good? I enjoy them, but in car-guydom, I don't think many would agree. Multiples of 4 almost always sound better than anything else: 4, 8, 12, 16 cylinders vs 5, 6, 10 etc. Rotaries are a different game: I do enjoy them too though...

My 87 GN was my first car lol. It all depends on the kid. After 3 years it's knocking on the door to a 10 second pass =). I managed to survive.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My 87 GN was my first car lol. It all depends on the kid. After 3 years it's knocking on the door to a 10 second pass =). I managed to survive.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Agreed. I always had access to fast cars and was trusted in high school with them; my siblings, not so much. Depends on the kid and how serious he takes driving in general.

About the sounds of a TR/GN- I love it. I have flow masters on mine and they sound great. Most street driven ones are somewhat on the quiet side untill you hammer on it, so I get that some folks like that v8 headered hot cam sound. I love that too- part of the reason for having a GS too! But the TR/GN sound is very easy on the ears on the highway and it doesnt attract the unwanted attention of the boys in blue. And it adds to the stealth factor too. no one expects a quiet v6 to be able to open up a can of whoop ass only like a turbo buick can.

At the end of they day, he's driving his mom's rice cake wagon, and I'm driving a legend. So jokes on him lol

Sounds like me when I turned 16 (now 25) and purchased my first car. Except....I bought a 1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL and thought the WRX WAGON'S WERE GIRL CARS! (Still do) haha

Back