Thrasher 92 chip

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
:D I just put the thrasher 92 chip in my car and cant get the smile off of my face!:D
I am currently running 19psi of boost w/stock intercooler , injectors and 93 octane! ( 02s 800s)

I purchased the car with unknown chip and turned out to be ATR's pit bull chip with waaaayyy too much timming!
That was my KR at 13psi that i had posted earlier..

Rest of mod's will be comming soon!!

Bo
:D :D :D

I just bought my TTA, and it currently has an ATR Pit Bull chip in it... the car runs real strong, and I don't hear any knock on my mix of 1/2 tank Chevron 92 and 1/2 tank Unocal 100, but your comment about the retard has me worried. The car run's 12.5's as it stands now. I'm currently scantool-deprived, so I have no much idea how much knock retard my car is running at the moment.

Maybe I should consider a new chip...

My Pitbull chip is supposed to run 18.5 psi in 1st gear, then 17psi in 2nd/3rd/4th, with a WOT 3rd gear lockup.

I did hear somewhere that the ATR chips are very aggressive on timing... guess I need that scantool to find out how much retard I'm getting. I wonder if any damage has been done...

I do like the behavior of my ATR chip though... the car runs very strong, and comes up on boost real fast and hard.

How's the idle and driveability with that Thrasher?

Get that chip outta there!!! There is too much timming in it for 93 octane gas!

Before you do any mods to your car, GET A SCAN TOOL!! This will tell you if your motor is running properly.

Turn your boost down to about 12psi if you cant afford a scan tool. ( I know it sucks) but If you want to save your motor from the dreaded KR, then you have to get one.

as for the thrasher, mine was $27.00 shipped :)

Now you really have me worried. My car doesn't have too much done to it: K&N, Hotwired fuel pump, shift kit, fuel pressure, and the ATR chip. ATR installed and did all the mods back in 1991. The car right now has run a best of 12.56.

Where did you get your Thrasher BTW?

And a scan tool is next on my list, after I get my breathers and subframe connectors installed. Then comes the 3" THDP :)

My idle is way better than the ATR chip and driveability is great. This chip spools so much faster it is perfect for me:D

I don't think the idle is bad on my ATR chip... I actually think it's pretty good.

I wonder how much power I'll lose going to a Thrasher 92 chip...

I do run a mix of 1/2 92 octane and 1/2 100 octane in the car... what octane were you getting 5 degrees of KR with with your ATR chip?

I was getting 4-6 degrees with this chip with 20% 93 and 80% 100 mix ..
I also thought that sence the timming wasnt there in the thrasher, it woul be slower but :eek: it wasnt at all!

Im happy because i rid of my kr problem , but really happy i can tune for the best performance and start mods..

I have a Thrasher street chip in my (new) tta, and it bails the boost down to like 13lbs in the top gears, do they all do that? I looked on the thrasher site and they mention that they dial back the boost. :mad:

That seems kinda lame to me (and I've been looking into what to swap in for that chip, thinking Translator+ and Extender). What do the stock chips do? I can't run one of those because I have blue tops...

Basically, I'd like solid boost, and the same boost level, in all of the gears. :D

When I bought my TA, it had a ATR chip from '89. Way to aggressive. I think the timing on mine was 24* It ran good all around but would have major KR at WOT. I went with a Thrasher 92 and it was much happier. No KR and it actually ran better all around.

The Thrasher does pull boost but it should be about 17 in 3rd gear. At least it was in my car.

In the 12's without a scan tool....and playing around with boost without a scan tool hoping for your ear to pick it up...biggest mistake to make on one of these cars.

Get a scan tool before you pop a hole in a piston or blow a head gasket..words of the wise ;)

I got 19 psi in all 3 gears.

BTW goku, do a spring cleaning to your car .

you can find it at gnttype.org... Lots of info there :)

anyone know what the boost target is for the Thrasher 92? The previous owner added an adjustable wastegate on the car, the adjustment may be hosed... (Just starting to work out the bugs)

The car has blue tops, a ta49 and the thrasher chip.

Irid, if you have adjustable rod and are at 45- 47 psi line off. watch 02s and raise boost as needed. w/ little or no kr... My 02s are in the 790- 800 range give or take.

Thrasher 92 is 17psi I believe.

Gang,

I can run Thrasher 92 with gas directly from the gas station and with 19 psi no knock, i can also run the strip chip with mixture of 25% Race fuel 66 @21psi.

The problem is that you can´t tell excactly what boost to run since the weather is a big piont here.... if it´s hot out and low of O2 the knocks are coming.......:(

Discussion should also be how much boost you can run WITHOUT any mixture in the gas........

My O2

Razor, I know I'm playing with fire running 12.5's and having no clue what the ECM is doing... Don't get on my case too badly for not having a scan tool, I just got the car 2 weeks ago. It's at the top of my list. I've been babying the car since I've got it, because I'm still not 100% confident in the mechanics and I didn't really want to start getting hard into the boost until I got a scan tool and checked everything out, and also reset the curb idle and IAC. The car was already modded when I purchased it. The car has been running 12.5's since 1991 when the mods were done by ATR back in 1991 when they were in Roseville, CA.

I have a breather on the way from Mr. Pearcey, and I'm going to disconnect the oil-sucker at the turbo inlet bell. I also have a new Hotwire kit on the way from Racetronix-- the job ATR did back in 1991, is, well, mediocre at best.

As far as the spring cleaning goes: I plan on cleaning the intercooler as soon as I get a chance. I'm guessing it's pretty clean-- the car only has 2500 miles on it. Everything else on the car is pretty, well, spotless, including the cloth seats and the hardtop :)

What's everyone's favorite scan tool? Turbolink? Directscan? I already have a laptop sitting around... might as well put it back into service :p

I think I'm going to order a Thrasher 92 chip, but I can't decide if I want the stutter feature or not it sounds like a nifty idea, but how is it in real life? I'll probably also get the anti-theft option. Might as well!

Gokou,in my opinion the best scantool out there is the scanmaster because it puts the info you need to know in your face at all times - as a secondary tool I like the Direct scan due to it's fast 18 frames/sec speed.

As far as the Thrasher92,it's a great chip though I think you'd be better off without the stutter but the security feature is a nice touch :D

With my first TTA #861 I was running 12.5@107 w/thrasher 92,a K&N and ss inlet pipe,test pipe w/dump,and drag radials(1.81 best 60ft)

Then with thrasher 108,some 110 octane,and MT ET Streets I went a best of 11.99@113 w/1.60 60ft

Needless to say thrashers work real well on stockish cars,oh and all tuning was with a scanmaster :D

HTH,
Steve