You can type here any text you want

Throttle Body and IAC Cleaning

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hawkfan

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I just deleted the stock passenger side breather tube from my new to me TR. It's a 120k mile car, so of course it has plenty of oil in the intercooler and up pipe. The throttle body has a thin coat in front of the butterfly and a much thicker 'varnish' behind it. I'm in the process of upgrading the turbo, intercooler, and piping so I have those parts covered. That leaves the IAC and throttle body. When I cleaned the throttle body/intake/IAC on one of my newer naturally aspirated cars, I sprayed everything really good with TB cleaner and scrubbed it with a brush until the carbon buildup was gone. I then started it and let it run until it idled smoothly and stopped smoking. I want to make sure this same process will work with my Limited before I do it. I've read some guys here use the throttle body cleaner while the engine is running. Is there a special reason for this? Which is the best way?

I usually just spray some cleaner into the throttle body as best as I can. You can also remove the IAC motor and flush it out. But the best way to do it is to remove the throttle body. That will get it as clean as possible. My cleaner of choice is the GM Top Engine cleaner in the aerosol can.

You can SeaFoam it as well but that does the whole engine, rather than the TB.

I used throttle body cleaner when cleaning my throttle plate but not while the car is running. They say its not good for your turbo but idk, maybe someone else can chime in

Just take your throttle body off and clean it by hand. It's only 2 nuts and a paper gasket.

What about taking the throttle body off and apart and dipping the whole thing a cleaner for a few hours to clean everything inside and out. Is that safe for it or is there sensitive plastic or rubber parts inside that I should worry about?

Stop over thinking this. 2 nuts, remove the TB. Get some brakleen or tb cleaner spray it on a rag and wipe off all the carbon deposits.

Just keep it simple. Remove the IAC motor from the throttle body. Disconnect the hose going to the throttle body from the up-pipe. Spray the inside of the throttle body and the throttle plates/butterflys and the passageways in the bottom in front and behind the plates with throttle body or carb cleaner both will get the job done. Hold the IAC motor with the pintle facing downward and spray the pintle,spring,shaft to remove any buildup of gunk that may have formed there. Take a lint free rag or paper towels and wipe everything off before installing the IAC motor and reconnecting the up-pipe hose. This is something you should make routine maintenance like changing your oil. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

Just keep it simple. Remove the IAC motor from the throttle body. Disconnect the hose going to the throttle body from the up-pipe. Spray the inside of the throttle body and the throttle plates/butterflys and the passageways in the bottom in front and behind the plates with throttle body or carb cleaner both will get the job done. Hold the IAC motor with the pintle facing downward and spray the pintle,spring,shaft to remove any buildup of gunk that may have formed there. Take a lint free rag or paper towels and wipe everything off before installing the IAC motor and reconnecting the up-pipe hose. This is something you should make routine maintenance like changing your oil. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

Thanks for that...something I also plan to do before the summer is over.

Back