You can type here any text you want

Throttle Response

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mad_Trbo

Buick has everything up and running finally, and I have been able to drive it around the last couple of days.

I've got a few issues I am trying to understand, having never owned one of these previously or even driven in one I am unsure how the car should perform. Many of you have heard me mention the Eclipse and then there is my M3, both with killer throttle response and both 5 speed transmissions

When sitting still and stabbing the throttle the Buick reponds wonderfully, rocking the body emitting a wonderful growl from the exhaust. When rolling at let's say 3- 5 mph and stabbing the throttle the cars response seems lack luster. It doesn't hesitate or anything but it doesn't jump like I would expect it to. Now I am wondering if it should lurch forward, do automatics do that? Or am I looking for something that isn't there.

Now don't get me wrong the car will chirp in 1st gear and i am still only running 10lbs of boost, but I wouldn't expect the boost to matter with regard to this concern. The immediate effect of WOT.

Can anyone provide feedback, or give me a ride in one so I can know what to expect ;)

I'm betting with that converter you are looking for something that isn't there, but damn, you should have one FAST car! Good luck!

I guess I just need to go ahead and turn up the boost and see what it will do.

I've been taking it slow, motor has in excess of 100k in miles on it and I wanted to get a feel for it before opening it up.

Mad_Trbo said:
I guess I just need to go ahead and turn up the boost and see what it will do.

I've been taking it slow, motor has in excess of 100k in miles on it and I wanted to get a feel for it before opening it up.

100k miles with all the mods in your sig?

Mad_Trbo said:
When rolling at let's say 3- 5 mph and stabbing the throttle the cars response seems lack luster. It doesn't hesitate or anything but it doesn't jump like I would expect it to. Now I am wondering if it should lurch forward, do automatics do that? Or am I looking for something that isn't there.

Now don't get me wrong the car will chirp in 1st gear and i am still only running 10lbs of boost, but I wouldn't expect the boost to matter with regard to this concern. The immediate effect of WOT.

Depends on the particular converter and engine tune.

Try just slightly pressing the brakes, at a slow roll, and then hitting it, and pausing a .2 sec before releasing the brakes. ie give it a lil EGT to get the boost up. If that works then you might want to add a lil fuel, and take a lil timing out of where the *lack luster response is*.

Oh, and get the rest of the tune right, at 10 PSI you're hardly working the motor... :)

That's what I'd do, anywho.

That turbo was not designed or intended to be operated at 10psi. Plus, it is a turbo v6 after all. Its never going to have the response of a manual tranny and 4.56's in the rear. It needs to spool up before it can make any power. Lag is inherent to a turbo motor. Especially a big turbo. If you want some quicker response, you can always throw gears in the car, but its been proven to be a waste of time. You can get one of those special bleeder valves to quicken spool up. Plus with an extender chip, you can set it up to make spoolup faster. You can use a converter that doesnt slip so much. You can add ALOT of timing given you're practically not running any boost. Start pushing at least 18psi and 25 degrees timing, tune it for quick spool, and you should be alot happier with it.
Remember you have an automatic tranny with a loose converter. You're looking for the characteristics of a completely different car. Given that the V6 in natural aspirated form is not usually a big power producer, it takes a turbo to make it happen. If you want instant response, take the turbo off and throw a screw supercharger on it.

Points all taken, tomorrow is a new day. I think it is time to stop ***** footing around.

And yep, I figured I would drive the motor till she broke and go for beefing her up at that point. Matter of fact I have been trying to source a short block, any ideas where I can get one for a reasonable price?

Back