You can type here any text you want

Throttlebody cleaning

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

Is there anything on the throttlebody after I pull the IAC and the TPS that shouldn't go into a can of carb dip or that metal cleaner stuff to get all the oxidation and carbon off of it?

Thanks,

DId you remove the vacuum block off the top? Did you unbolt it from the plenum? There are gaskets between the two that probably wouldnt like the cleaning solution.

I cant say for sure but you do have shaft seals in the TB...I dont know if soaking them will harm them. Someone else will have to chime in on that one. OTher than the seals you should be good to go. I never soaked...I always just took a can of carb cleaner and sprayed the hell out of it.

It's off the car and pretty much disassembled. I don't like the idea of putting it back on in suck shape.

blast it with a spray can of carb/choke cleaner and scrub it with an old toothbrush ...... then hit with some compressed air. it'll be good to go!

Brake or carb cleaner on the outside. Then to remove some oxidation, find access to a polishing wheel and some mothers mag aluminum polish. If you cant find a wheel, depending on the level of oxidation, Aluminum or brass wire brush followed by green scotch brite followed by white scotch brite then some polish. You can skip the first steps depending on teh condition. ITs not easy to get in thoes little places and will take some time. hth

The reasoning is, I don't plan on keeping it. I'm moving up to a 70mm eventually and it looks like I'm not going to be needing this information right now since my nailhead is looking better after I fixed my timing and exhaust backpressure issues. If cleaning the radiator out and possibly putting on a proper AC waterpump fixes the overheating than its good to go. I was getting lots of oil loss this last year on Powertour so I was getting really worried that the nailhead was dieing before I wanted to replace it but now its looking fit to fight another year so I'll skip straight to the 70mm on the Champion intake.

Back