You can type here any text you want

Timing chain options?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nighttrain

Hey guys. I'm slowly collecting parts for several big and small projects I'm planning on my GN. One of the first ones is replacing the timing chain. Is there a particular name brand I should be looking at? I ask because ATR sells a Cloyes for $90, but I have discovered a new Milodon on Ebay and the bidding is around $20 right now. Are these both good ones, is there a difference, or is there another name that I should be getting?

Thanks,
Peter

I went to Pep Boys up here in Everett and spent $18 for a stock replacement unit. I beleive I used a DynaGear set; nothing fancy.

FS

Buy the single roller all-steel chain gear set, new tensioner assy and cam button. From what I've heard, double chains are unnecessary and could destroy your engine. The stock gear was nylon to be quiet, but it wears quicker than a steel one.

Some of these parts you can buy at any auto store and others from GM parts department, I believe.

Frank, what about any other parts needed...
Front cover gasket ?
Cam button spring ?
Where did you get the parts ?

Originally posted by TurboSlacker
Buy the single roller all-steel chain gear set, new tensioner assy and cam button. From what I've heard, double chains are unnecessary and could destroy your engine. The stock gear was nylon to be quiet, but it wears quicker than a steel one.

Some of these parts you can buy at any auto store and others from GM parts department, I believe.

Frank, what about any other parts needed...
Front cover gasket ?
Cam button spring ?
Where did you get the parts ?

I purchased the stock steel gear set from the local autoparts store and got the cam button,chain guide and tentioner from a local GM dealer. Also, I dropped my oil pan to replace the rear main seal all at the same time.
Any local auto parts store sells a timing gear replacement gasket kit for cheap that comes with the front half of the exposed oil pan.

Tip*** You do not need to remove the waterpump from the timing chain cover.

In summary,

Timing gear set (steel) – local auto store
Timing gear replacement gasket kit - local auto store
Cam button - GM
Chain guide - GM
Tensioner assy - GM

Originally posted by TurboSlacker
In summary,

Timing gear set (steel) – local auto store
Timing gear replacement gasket kit - local auto store
Cam button - GM
Chain guide - GM
Tensioner assy - GM

LOL

In a shorter summary.

YUP!

Let me know if you guys need a hand wrenching. I'm pretty good at scraping gaskets.
:D

You're definitely one my short list, Frank, since you've been through this before and your car is still running ;)

Back