You can type here any text you want

Timing light

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trbodon21

I can't remember, but when checking the timing on our cars don't we need a different type of timing light that won't pick up the waste spark? What timing light do you guys use?Thanks

We don't need no stinking timing light. :cool:
We set the cam sensor for the injectors and the chip controls the timing based off the crank sensor.

Not when you have a DFI. I want to match the timing in the computer with the actual timing in the car. I'm new to the DFI world so maby I am posting in the wrong board.
Yes timing is set by chip and you don't need a timing light for a stock computer, but with a DFI it is a different story.

Trbodon there are 2 things you need to know about timing and DFIs.

1. Yes you can use a timing light on the balancer it works. Dont worry about the waste spark. Put the pick up wire on the #1 cylinder and shoot.

2. Batch fire DFIs are not the most accurate thing in the world when it comes to timing. You should allow for an additional 6 degrees of timing from whatever is on the balancer and in your timing map.

For instance, if your ignition map reads 18 degrees at WOT ( highest boost cells vs rpms of 4500 and up) then you are actually running 24 degrees on the motor. I would play it safe with the timing and if you increase it at all do it in one degree increments and be careful.

For the street 21 degrees and low boost 14 psi or so in the summer heat is fine.

On the strip you can go up to 26 degress ON RACE GAS ONLY and the boost can go wherever you like.

Remember the cam sensor tells the injectors when to open and the crank sensor controls the timing for ignition.

As long as both were set up correctly The DFI will work just fine.

Good luck

The waste spark actually makes it brighter - you get one flash per engine revolution instead of one flash per two revolutions, and the flashes will happen at the right time so if you set your dfi to zero degrees advance then the line on the balancer and the zero line on the tab should line up. If you have a delay timing light then you will need to tell it waste spark or divide the reading by two. In other words, using my friend's SnapOn delay light when I set the timing light knob so the display reads 40 degrees and my chip is commanding 20 degrees of advance, the timing marks are lined up.

Don I just looked at your sig and saw you are using a Gen 7 DFI.

There is an adjustment in there to get the actual timing on the balancer and what is being used in the map to coincide with each other.

I am not sure what it is on a Gen 7 but with a FAST they call it a crank reference angle. I had to do the same thing with Dads GN to get both to jive with each other.

You may want to see if Nick will move this to the Performance ECM section, I know there are a couple of guys over there that can tell you with certainty how to do it.

Sorry

Back