You can type here any text you want

tire selection

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mikes86ttop

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Hey guys just wondering what you guys thought of tire selection, im looking at possibly 255/50/16 for the rear, and or 245's all around. I have 16X8" riken wheels w\o spacers all around currently with 225/55's.. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. This is a street car with maybe a strip run per year,. With that said I'd be looking for a nice set of street performance type of tire....thanks in advance...Mike

Last edited:
the gnx was 245/50 frt 255/50 rear
the 255 is same height as stock gn wheel (215/65-15) .26.1"
the 245 is shorter about 25.3"
they fit fine on the rikens , i ran the 245/ 255 combo no problem other than tire rub in the front on the lower rear plastic wheelhouse when lowered and making hard turns . picked up Xrays GNX wheelhouse patches (ebay or gns performance) that were patterened from the gnx , they add some room in that area also took care of the years of rubbing that wore a hole in my plastic
bfg sport has 245/50 and 255 /50
try tirerack.com .. search by size ..they recently had the toyo old stock on sale cheap

and if you're after some track stuff the mickey thompson et street drag radial is available 255/50-16 fits and hooks

Last edited:
Awesome thanks pacecarta good info, I've checked out tirerack and seems like the way ill go.

So basically i came up with the bfg gforce sport comp2, i already have minor rub on the front well so I 'll have to address that when time comes... Mike

Sport Comp2's are about the only street tire still available in the 255/50R16 size. I wish there more selection, because this is the perfect sized tire for G-bodies and 3rd gens, too.

255's fit up front, even on a lowered car, but it takes work to the inner fenders and its best to start with a wheel with more backspacing than Zero offsets and space it as required. 12"+ brake set ups add another 3/8" of offset that push larger tires even more into the fender's inner lip so any brake upgrade is going to need inner fender massaging.

Just got the new tires on today. I went with the 245/255 combo with the riken 8" , 10 offset rim

Back