You can type here any text you want

tire shopping advice?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6-Sauce

I have stock 15 inch rims on the 87 gn....car is not a racer, need some good tires....what opitions do I have... I like the 235's all around, which tires? any pics?

BFG's or Indy 500's. Both work well. Check your local firestone, Indy's should be on sale right now............

Are you wanting white letters? If not, just get a cheap set of touring tires. As long as you are not road coursing it or drag racing it, you dont need the sport tires, unless you want white letters. I sold tires for years and the cheaper touring tires lasted much longer than any sport tire. As far as size, I personally do not like any larger than stock tires in the front. Just get 235/60's in the back and stock 215/65's in the front. Wont look like a 4X4 and will give you a little more meat in the back.

I have the Michelin Pilots 23/60/15 up front and they are a good tire but I don't think they make them in that size anymore.

Gonna go with Cooper Cobra GT's 235/60/15 next time out.

I use the Nitto drag radials out back I need some traction. :)

Yokohama 235 x 60 front
Nitto 275 x 50 back - for long trips Yokohama 235 x 60 back

Tires

BFG plain old radial T/A all around. 235/60/15 on stock rims. Works great, doesn't rub and is sticky for a stock tire.

BFG plain old radial T/A all around. 235/60/15 on stock rims. Works great, doesn't rub and is sticky for a stock tire.

The Radial T/A is a 20 year old tire, both in design and the compound makeup.

I've had both the Indy 500s and the Radial T/As, and the Indy 500 is a better tire, especially if it's wet.

Are you wanting white letters? If not, just get a cheap set of touring tires. As long as you are not road coursing it or drag racing it, you dont need the sport tires, unless you want white letters. I sold tires for years and the cheaper touring tires lasted much longer than any sport tire. As far as size, I personally do not like any larger than stock tires in the front. Just get 235/60's in the back and stock 215/65's in the front. Wont look like a 4X4 and will give you a little more meat in the back.

I agree with you 100%.sparko112 stated car is not a racer, need some good tires

tire choices

I was very happy with a set of Falken Ziex ZE 512 tires on the stock wheels size 235/60-15. I was driving the car daily. Excellent wet traction. Not noisy. Pretty cheap thru discounttire.com.

Dean

I was very happy with a set of Falken Ziex ZE 512 tires on the stock wheels size 235/60-15. I was driving the car daily. Excellent wet traction. Not noisy. Pretty cheap thru discounttire.com.

Dean
X2 For the Falcon Ziex 512's!! I had these exact same tires on my last GN and was VERY happy with the overall performance of this tire in Wet or Dry conditions.

On stock rims I ran the sizes below:

Front: 225 / 55
REAR: 255 / 50

These were the sizes I ran on my last GN and they fit perfectly!

SW.

Bfgoodrich radial TA 215/60/15 front 255/60/15 rear, on 15x7 rim..fit perfect, and very reasonable price. I think they work real good, old tire or not, and they look good.

I used Cooper Cobras but they looked so old school, and then switched to Dunlop GT Qualifiers and liked them alot.

Go with the best performance tire from Yokohama, that will fit your size parameters. They are a really high quality tire. If not, I'd go with the bfg G Force TA KD or their replacements.

Not sure if this is of any help to you but....

Here's a pic of my car, with some Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires, size 215/65R15:

fair-park042.jpg

The tires sell for $100 a piece thru Tire Rack, and are an H rated tires which is a 130 mph rating. They are considered a high performance tire. Here's a link to them:

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

And they have gotten some really good reviews.

I don't have a lot of ride time on mine but so far they seem to be better than the BF Goodrich/Regul combo tires I had on before. My car does ride a little better than it used to. I haven't tried seeing how it does in the rain yet.

Unfortunately they do not make these in a 235/60 but truth be told I had a 215/65 up front and a 235/60 on the rear at one time and I almost cannot tell a difference.

Back