You can type here any text you want

Tire suggestions wanted.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boostedmaxPSI

Hard Member
As most of you know I now have my long awaited 16x8 GNx wantabee rims. :)

Now I need a tire. I'm looking for suggestions on manufacture, model, size and the best/affordable place to get them.

Input needed! Thanks

I've got a whole list for ya, but how about narrowing it down a little.

Do you want to be the same size on all fours to rotate ?
Do you want wet weather traction ?
Do you want excellent handling or more straight-line performance ?
Do you want a drag radial ?

I found there's no perfect tire to do all that. It's a compromise or else excels in one category.

Good questions Dan. I have no desire to drive the car in the rain. I don't want a drag radial agian, too messy! Still cleaning rubber out of the fender well! LOL!

I currently have 275's in the rear and would like to keep that size or 265's in the rear and 245's up front. I like a nice sharp side wall like you have.

I would recommend a 245x50x16 on front, since that's the max you can go with minimal to no rubbing at full left-right steering.

I believe 255x50x16 would be the max width on the 8" GTA wheels to keep a straight sidewall. Any larger will probably look rounded like a drag radial. A 255 rear will be appx 0.4" taller than the 245 which is a nice rake look plus a little better mph thru the traps.

Spend some time researching many different options on http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp in particular the max performance and ultra high performance tires.

I've been debating and debating going to a Nitto drag radial vs. sticking with an ultra high performance tire. I like a nice looking car, so I don't want the rubber and rocks thrown all over the wheel wells and quarter panels. I'm leaning to getting the 255x50x16 Firestone Firehawks on the rears to compliment my 245 fronts. A little more meat and height.

Here's the list of 255's to consider:
Michelin Pilot Sport $267 H 26.0 W 10.2
Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP $140 H 26.1 W 10.4
Dunlop SP Sport 8000 $129 H 26.1 W 10.0
Sumitomo HTR Z $91 H 26.2 W 10.2
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 $87 H 26.1 W 10.4

I think the Michelin's are too pricey without any better performance than the mid-priced tires; the Sumitomo and Kumho supposedly perform very well at a great price.

Regardless, with your power you are going to blow away the tires on the street at will. Same problem you had with the Nittos. And you'll have to live with 1.9-2.2 60' times on the track. But WOW your high speed cornering will put a big smile on your face.

Nice write up Dan. I searched TireRack.com several times looking at Goodyear GSC and BF Goodwrench KD series.

For all around looks and price I think the Firestone Firehawks are the way to go. I've tried the 555R's and for that tire to be effective you have to heat the living crap out of them to make them stick.

I currently have both BFG DR and Nitto 555R's mounted on factory GN rims in my shed. So they're there to mount up for the track anytime.

I went with the Sumitomos after researching on Tire Rack with the Firestones being my second choice. They ride and hold corners very well however they haven't been race tested yet.
Price was a factor.

MLH

All i can suggest is not put to wide of tire on the front:) Our cars dont like them and drive like **** if they are to wide:D The idler arm,center link,tie rods deflect to much and make the car follow rutts and crowns in the road.When a car is new and has the factory tire they drive nice because they have tryed all the brands on the car to find the one that drive the best. Ive heard in Japan you cant even change brands or models and have to replace the tire with OEM only tires. Some cars are really touchy about tire tread pattern,width and the profile of the edge of the tire. Some tires are more rounded and some are more squared off and hook cracks in the road. Just something to think about;) Ive noticed this big time on my car and have talked to many others that have the same problem.

Thanks for this insights Geno and Powder. I went ahead and purchased the Firestone Firehawks, 245 up front and 255's in the rear.

A Big thanks to ADUM!;)

The Firehawks definitely track the grooves on I-5 as Gene mentioned, but they drive well on most roads and are very quiet.

What's the scoop with Adum? Does he have an in on good prices?

We are a tire rack wholesaler:D The only issue is paying for the shipping and getting them mounted, but since Car Nutz is directly behind our shop they usually do me right on the mounting and balancing.

ADUM

Back