You can type here any text you want

Took turbo off to find a surprise.....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNguy

U aint that big
Well, my car made some crazy surging noise when I let off when I was on the freeway and white smoke started pooring out of the exhaust. I get off the freeway and it seems fine. except everyime I start to spin the turbo a LOUD scratching noise starts. So I took off the turbo yesterdayand guess what I find.....the one of the fins on the exhaust wheel broke off!! WTF! This is a PT54 that had about 6500 miles on it. What the hell could of broken it? Well anyways I put the stock turbo on and with the 3200 10' stall I can hit 20# SO FAST. Well what do you guys think?

Broken blades

Hi,
Well, it seems to have improved the spool up somehow, what are you complaining about? Hope another blade doesn't toss off, though....

sounds like a typical pt turbo :o

If you want a garret turbo call John Craig If you want a better turbo call Jack cotton and get a turbonetics :wink:

pt54

Hi,
All kidding aside, these turbos have problems? I want this info for my future plans, don't want trouble like was previously mentioned. What is the problem, bad metal? Poor design? Any info would be appreciated.

typically its the 51 and 52 turbo's

not really too much problem with the others

out of all the turbo failures on here how many of the start with pt v/s a Limit engineering turbo or a turbonetics one :confused:

its always possible something went thru the motor but if it still runs fine other than turbo pooped out .. well you get the picture :wink:

Red, do you have a good story to tell us about turbines blowing up? ;)

Actually, I had a PT52 five years ago, it lasted almost one full year :eek: .

The turbonetics turbos are nice.

If I get enough cash I am going to buy a BB turbo, thanks for the input guys.

Is there enough radial play for the blades to scrape against the bore on the inlet side?

Well, after a complete crop duster run like this guy has had blowing oil everywhere and with a missing blade, I'd say that's a big yes. :biggrin:

GNguy said:
If I get enough cash I am going to buy a BB turbo, thanks for the input guys.
Send your turbo to Limit. They'll turn it into a 67 for $575.00. You already have the torque converter for it.They'll stand by their work. I just did this myself. You'll absolutely love this turbo. This is the same turbo Julio,at Alky Control,has to propel his car to 132 mph. in the quarter. No downsides. This turbo moves alot of air. Precision will never get any more of my money.The problem you're having has happened to many others.

Ttype6 said:
Send your turbo to Limit. They'll turn it into a 67 for $575.00. You already have the torque converter for it.They'll stand by their work. I just did this myself. You'll absolutely love this turbo. This is the same turbo Julio,at Alky Control,has to propel his car to 132 mph. in the quarter. No downsides. This turbo moves alot of air. Precision will never get any more of my money.The problem you're having has happened to many others.

Yep, had a 51 and a 53 die on me in very short order. The 53 literally lasted less then 20 miles and one full throttle pass before the exhaust wheel blew apart. What a mess. :frown: I would imagine they carry other turbos that will give you better luck.....at a minimum, I would stay away from the 50 series.

I really like the idea of sending it in to limit and turning it into 67 but is that too much turbo for a stock unopened block? Whats limit's phone #? thanks for the ideas :biggrin:

GNguy said:
I really like the idea of sending it in to limit and turning it into 67 but is that too much turbo for a stock unopened block? Whats limit's phone #? thanks for the ideas :biggrin:
It'll work just fine on your car with your torque converter. I had them turn my 51 (rebuilt one time by Precision at my expence) into a 67. This is as big as they can go with your turbo. With my 009's and my t.t. chip richend as much as I could,I was only able to raise the boost to 16 lbs.before my o2 readings started to go below 780. That's how much more air this thing moves. My car made more power at 16 than it ever did at 23 with my 51. You'll love it. limitengineering.com
(928)453-7321 Ask for Chopper.

I know boost isnt boost. Its all about airflow. But, when we're talking about manifold pressure, isnt boost just a measure of backpressure in the intake? You can flow more air with a better turbo, but if the heads dont flow more and you have the same cam, I dont see how 16 pounds from one turbo would be any different than 16 pounds from another turbo when you're running the same heads and cam with both tests. You have X amount of air coming out of the turbo, and given the restriction of the heads, you get a certain boost number that represents how much air ISNT getting into the motor. So much airflow trying to squeeze through a given port will give you a measure of backpressure, which gives you your boost number. Increase air flow with a bigger turbo, but squeeze through the same heads, and your boost number (restriction) should go up. But if you have 16 pounds vs. 16 pounds and the only difference is the turbo, I dont see how the airflow into and out of the cylinders has increased. Unless the charge is cooler and denser because the more efficient turbo isnt heating the air up as much. Otherwise I dont see the difference. You run 16 pounds and then port the heads. Now you end up with 12 pounds cause the restriction has dropped. But the flow is about the same. Bring it back up to 16 pounds, and now you have more airflow and more power. Get what Im saying? Heads and cam and more flow from the turbo increase airflow getting in and out of the motor. Increasing turbo size and keeping the same boost, cams and heads doesnt increase airflow through the motor, unless like I said, the charge isnt as heated up cause the turbo is in a better efficiency range. Hope I dont sound too schizophrenic. :rolleyes:

Less back pressure with a more efficient turbo. Cylinder is "emptier". More air at the same intake manifold pressure will fit.

Also the biggie, temp of air comming out of turbo. A bigger, more efficient turbo @ 15PSI will have cooler air coming out than a tiny turbo spinning 2x the speed, but still making 15PSI. Both turbos making the same boost, but the bigger turbo will be flowing more air because the air is denser and colder.

VadersV6 said:
I dont see how the airflow into and out of the cylinders has increased. Unless the charge is cooler and denser because the more efficient turbo isnt heating the air up as much.
This is exactly what happens with a larger and less restrictive compressor. You have to remember that there is another part of a turbo that determinenes the power producing potential.The turbine. When you increase the size and efficiency of the turbine,you reduce the restriction in the exhaust. This helps to remove the exhaust gasses from the cylinder,wich allows for more and better air to enter the cylinder through the intake port. Remember that air is entering the engine through the throttle body and exiting out the tail pipe. If you reduce restriction anywhere along this route,you increace flow in and out of the motor.This means Mo Powa,Mo Powa,MoPowa.

GNguy said:

A close friend of mine runs a 67 on his stock long block car. With a vigilante 3200 l/u his car runs consistant 10.90s at around 124mph. Don't let anyone at Limit talk you out of it. They told him it would spool like a pig with a stock long block, but his timeslips show otherwise. 60fts are in the 1.55s.

Ttype6 said:

Shhh.. quit giving away secrets... impossible small shaft turbo runs these times :D

You will need a 3400-3600 converter with the 67.. and it launches sooooo nice.

Right click save as..

http://trmirror.rage-board.com/files/ScottsRaceStuff/TRackEvent13Videos/WhiteTurboTA.wmv

Last Sat nite. at just 22-23 PSI

Back