You can type here any text you want

Torque converter question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
Need help selecting a torque converter, I had Janis rebuild and install a stage 1 in my car recently and he said he installed a re-stalled D5 converter with a 2500 stall speed. I cant remember my cam specs right now but i have a mild cam, ported heads, precision plenum, 5858 turbo, 3'' RJC downpipe, 80lb injectors, running E85. My plans are not a track car but just a good and quick street car something capable of running 11.5 or slightly faster if I did hit the drag strip, I also do a lot of highway cruising in it. what would be some good converter options for my setup, or should I just stick with what i have in there ? Also i dont know much about transmissions and converters so what exactly will a better converter do for me ?

Tahnks

@dvernst
Dvernst is using a non-lock 9.5" PTC 16 blade with that 5858 turbo on a stock TTA, running a best of 10.9 at around 120-121 IIRC. That's a premium torque converter with a hefty price tag, but it delivers the goods. A good torque converter is loose enough "down low" to get your turbo spooled up at the line, but then it grabs or "couples" very hard when the engine makes power/RPM. Slippage percentage "through the traps" is the measurable parameter you typically want to talk about when it comes to converter performance. Sloppy converters are 20-25% slip (or more!). Half-way decent converters are 10-15%. Good converters are substantially less than 10%.

then there's lock-ups.... which are another story. Multi-discs can deliver 0% slip when locked, but these units are usually very loose / sloppy when unlocked.

Do you know what stall speed his is or what range i should be looking at for my combo/ goals ?

Advertised stall speeds don't mean too much, because different engines make different power.
But this one does this:
2900RPM @ 0 boost
3500RPM @ 6psi boost

Back