tow vehicle

V8KILLR

2speed 1day fast & faster
Looking to get a tow vehicle. I think I'm set on a F250 two wheel diesel extended cab FX4. What I'm looking to know is a run down of the major changes between each year. e.g. body and parts (engine, trans and so on). If you have this truck, have you been happy with it? I think I'm looking for a 2000 – 2003, but not sure. When I'm done with school in Dec. I think I'd be willing to take a lone for $30,000. But I'm thinking of dividing that money up for a Harley ($5,000) and the truck ($25,000).

Thanks,
Jason

Well I'm sure I am gonna hear about this, but what the heck. Up here where I live 19 out of 20 vehicles on the road are trucks. And 3 out of 5 are diesels (especially now with all the 0% financing). Anyways my point is diesels are big up here.

Local experience is that several of the new 6.0 litre PS diesels like to take a major dump around 10,000 miles. It's pretty common knowledge up here now with several oilfield companies buying five or six only to have 3 permanently in and out of the dealership for warranty work. There are three lawsuits pending against the two local Ford dealerships currently by individuals/companies wanting their money back.

Don't kill the messenger. I'm just suggesting you may want to research that situation if you are buying a 6.0 PS. Personally, I'd go with the 7.3. Well actually I'd get a Durmax. Wait. I did. :D

Get a Lightning! Works for me! Then you have something cool to drive when the TR breaks.:D

get a chevy with the duramax/ allison trans combo. and then get the computer upgrade and a k+n filter--it doesnt get any better than that! my 01 4wd does 14:80 at the track and gets 17 mpg, pulls any hill as fast as you want--no problem

Originally posted by turbosam6
Get a Lightning! Works for me! Then you have something cool to drive when the TR breaks.:D

I wouldn't recommend pulling any real trailer with a lightning unless your life insurance premium is paid up.

Strap my little enclosed 20 Ft. trailer on a lightning and I bet it will pull a front wheel leaving a stop light. (1500 LB tongue weight).

I work at the plant that builds F250-550 Ford trucks and Excursions and I will say stay with the 7.3 unless you have the money to buy a new 2004 6.0 diesel. In 2004 they should have all the bugs worked out of the new engine. We are also going to build Harley Davidson 250's and 350's if interested, starting in November.

I tow about 6000 pounds on a regular basis. Thats a 24ft (Total Length) full deck open car trailer pretty regularly. I towed a 3900lb Supercharged Z28 to Englishtown with 8 Tires, 2 toolboxes and other assored crap in the bed. I also towed a Turbo Mustang back from Niagra Falls with no issues at 80mph.

If you don't need an enclosed trailer the Lightning tows fine. Sure if your Mr Racecar with a 25ft enclosed trailer you need a big truck but if your like most of use and just use an open car trailer then the Lightning tows it just as well as anything else.

Set the cruise on 80mph come up on a hill, watch the boost come up 2-3psi and it pulls right up it like its nothing.

I own a 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 2 wheel drive. If you drive the truck at 70mph with no load it gets about 20 miles per gallon. Load it up and that falls to about 14 which I don't think is bad for pulling a 24 ft trailer loaded.I like my truck and I am happy with way it performs. This is first diesel I have owned the initial cost of the diesel package was a little hard to take ( about $5000 more than the gas unit). I had to get use to buying 15 qts of oil every 5000 miles and a $30 fuel filter every 15000.I have put 30000 miles on my truck with no repairs to it.

I have heard that the new 6.0 is having some problems but about a month ago I was at the Dyno with my car when they put one of the 6.0s on and installed an after market box.The dyno guy swears that it made 800 foot pounds of torque to the wheels.

I agree with waiting to 2004 to buy a new 6.0 or look for a good used 7.3 which are hard to find.

REG

Yeah, what TTA said. The lightning is nothing more than a half ton P/U with a bad ass motor in it. It pulls just as well as any other 1/2 ton I've ever had, and I've had them all. It doesn't pull as well as my 3/4 ton dodge diesel, but theres a massive difference. I fail to see how its dangerous? Put the trailer brakes on and I bet I can stop faster than a lot of tow rigs! For the average enthousiast, a 25 ft. enclosed trailer is not needed, most of the trailers I see at the track are like mine, open 16-18 ft., and not that heavy. I agree if you're going to be pulling a big trailer and hauling all your stuff too, then maybe a bigger truck is a good idea.

What's the tow rating on a lightning? 7500 lbs? 5000 lbs? How about those back tires? Do you really think those are made for towing? How about the rear springs? made for towing? Lighnings may tow a boat fine, but I wouldn't recommend one to someone as a "tow vehicle".

You can tow just about anything with anything else. I used to tow a car/trailer with an AMC Eagle. It worked fine.

Would I do that today? No way.

Tow rating is 5000lbs on the Lightning.

The Lightning has F250HD Brakes on it. 12inch Front and 13 inch Rear Rotors. It stops awesome and of course I have a brake controller for the trailer brakes.

The 03 Lightning is rated to haul 1300lbs in the bed. The springs are fine.

How do you rate tires for towing? Stock tires are Goodyear F1 295/45-18s all around.

If it wasn't meant to tow it wouldn't have come with a Class 3 reciever and wired for lights and brake controller I would think.

UNGN, You have no idea what your talking about :eek: I tow with this thing all the time and have never been nervous or had any problems.

Towing my LS1

Towing LT1

Towing Turbo Stang

Towing duh Boat

I have 10K miles on my Lightning and probably 4K of that is with something in tow. It tows GREAT! :cool:

Originally posted by TTA89
Tow rating is 5000lbs on the Lightning.

So it's rated for 750lb max on the hitch.

Do you Know why? Those tires have a max load of 1800 lb each (vs. over 3000lb each for a proper LT tire, 3400lbs for a load range E std. on a 2500)

Put 1300lb in the bed and a 6000lb trailer on the back and you are overloading the tires.

Fords have never had tire problems so I'm sure you'll be fine.

If it wasn't meant to tow it wouldn't have come with a Class 3 reciever and wired for lights and brake controller I would think.

So does a Subaru Baja. Big deal.

Originally posted by UNGN
So it's rated for 750lb max on the hitch.

Do you Know why? Those tires have a max load of 1800 lb each (vs. over 3000lb each for a proper LT tire, 3400lbs for a load range E std. on a 2500)

Put 1300lb in the bed and a 6000lb trailer on the back and you are overloading the tires.

Fords have never had tire problems so I'm sure you'll be fine.

So does a Subaru Baja. Big deal.

Actually according to the specs on those F1's, they are rated at 2205lbs max load. Just go here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Eagle+F1+GS
That is incredible for a P Metric tire.
By comparison, a load range C truck tire such as 265/75R16 Wrangle ATS (what I have on my truck) is rated to 2,470 lbs. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Wrangler+AT/S
Not that big of a deal in max load rating. But the 295/45zr18 F1's are rated better than you gave them credit for.
I personally have also towed MANY different vehicles on my steel deck, double axle car trailer with my short bed 90 1/2 ton GMC. The heaviest being a 1991 F250 HD that weighed close to 5,000 lbs. I havent had any problems with mine and I know my truck has a lot less power than a super charged 5.4.
I see many guys at Atco towing with first and second generation Lightnings and those guys dont seem to have a problem either.
I dont think Ford would risk the liability of telling people that they can tow 5,000 lbs and installing class 3 hitches IF there was the chance of a problem which could = law suits. I'm sure they have been there/done that a few times by now.
Fact is any tire can blow out. Including load range E tires.
Mike (TTA89) stated and gave proof that he tows with his Lightning. Why question/doubt or put him down.
I think its awesome that a manufacturer can build a performance truck that can actually be used as a tow/work truck as well.

Well I never carry 1300lbs in the bed while towing :)

I am heading out towards the Great Lakes tomorrow with an LS1 in tow.

Wish me Luck, I'll check on my life insurance policy tomorrow :cool:

I hate to say this is the only vehicle I have ever owned that I haven't wanted to change the tires on. When these wear out I am putting the same things back on.

They handle AWESOME in the Rain, I have Auto X'd on them 3 times and the track handles GREAT with them, They have been 1.87 60ft at the drags.

I didn't look up the load rating but thats nice to know they are rated way more than what I will ever use them for.