You can type here any text you want

Tranny Time!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaJoker

DUMB QUESTION MEMBER
Having some problems with the stock tranny in my car and it may be time to pull it out. So with that said what recommendations do you guys have on upgrades while its out, converter, shift kit etc. The car does see the track occassionally and I will be getting drag radials(so I can sneak into the 12's:wink: ) but its pretty much stock and will probably stay that way. Also any of y'all have experience with buying trannys from some of the vendors on this board???

i have a 3200 l/u vigalanti in my car and street manners are fine.with a stock turbo i would think a 2800 would work nice.

What kind of problems are you having? I rebuilt mine with parts and alot of phone time from Bruce & Mark @ PTS... excellent support. Chris @ CK is also a good guy. Chris authored a manual on rebuilding the 2004R that is very detailed and well worth the money. BTW, I dropped from 13.10's to 12.30's after the tranny rebuild.

I could get the car up off the ground but then I would be stumped on the next move...lol. I am having some noises that I believe is the converter cause you can hear it as soon as the car starts up and continues till it shifts to 2nd. Also after a 20 minute interstate trip it wanted to upshift to OD at about 20 mph, it also did it when I was stuck in traffic on the way back home. I would have been pissed if the tranny went out stuck in rush hour traffic with no shoulder to push it over to.

I would service the tranny and see what the fluid looks like. Also, check the Transmission Tech area, someone has probably had this issue before. The TTA trannys are slightly different than the GN's. If you do anything have the original tranny rebuilt (dont send it in as a core).

I would service the tranny and see what the fluid looks like. Also, check the Transmission Tech area, someone has probably had this issue before. The TTA trannys are slightly different than the GN's. If you do anything have the original tranny rebuilt (dont send it in as a core).

Nope, the TTA trans is exactly the same internally except for the tag. TAF vs. BRF

Jason

The TA1 v-b body will shift a "touch" earlier and softer at light throttle than a BRF. Otherwise they are nearly the same.
If you installed a BRF you would likely never know the difference between them.

I can build/rebuild a nice trans for you. Check my feedback.
I have 87Nat (Ed B.)running one of my trannies down there. They must like the warmer temps and humidity! :)

Thanks, Brian

The TA1 v-b body will shift a "touch" earlier and softer at light throttle than a BRF. Otherwise they are nearly the same.
If you installed a BRF you would likely never know the difference between them.

I can build/rebuild a nice trans for you. Check my feedback.
I have 87Nat (Ed B.)running one of my trannies down there. They must like the warmer temps and humidity! :)

Thanks, Brian

where at in Michigan are you located? My TTA does some weird things after driving it for a while and it gets warm. I've got a transcooler on it and the tranny was built by Vince Janis. I don't think it's any problems with the build but I think it might be the TCC solenoid but I would like to have someone who has more experience than me look at it to give me their opinion. I would take it to Vince but he's a 3 hour drive one way from me.

The governor is different due to the different gear ratios and the 1-2 accumulator cover is different (I think it has a bleed orfice that the TR's dont have). The TTA also does not use a speedo cable but an electronic sending unit). Other than the speedo (which can be installed in a TR tranny) I agree you could swap a TR tranny in and not notice a difference. The only difference you are likely to notice is the impact to the cars value as a collectible vehicle with the original tranny long gone. That is why I suggest rebuilding the original tranny (if needed) rather than exchanging it.

the only place you should ever buy a trans from is here,find a vendor from this board that is close to you,never trust one of those trans places on the side of every road....:wink:

Back