You can type here any text you want

trans died

• Thread starter Thread starter Jims89tta
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
J

Jims89tta

Hello,

I have a 1989 TTA with a 200r4, all stock 86,xxx miles. I changed the fluid and filter last week, it was blood red at the time of the change. I filled it up properly and checked the level 2 days later, hot and running, it was fine. Yesterday I drove to the store 4 miles away, when leaving the store reverse worked fine.

The problem is the forward gears, all 4 just slip. You have to get the rpm's up to 2000+ to get the car forward. I check the fluid right then, level was fine and blood red. I messed with the tv cable and no change. So I drove home slipping in drive, fluid now is a little burned from the drive home.

The filter is seated right and I did change the o-ring out. No parts were in the bottom of the pan, just a little super fine black powder on the magnet.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Couple of things to try..one is TV cable..other is drop the pan and make sure the filter hasnt popped out of the hole and sucking air/fluid.

You can overfill it by a quart and not hurt anything..

Main concern would be clutch/band material on the bottom of the pan..and finally..it is 14 years old and seals harden,gaskets shrink,anything would practically be normal..

Careful who you take it to...and make sure they build your tranny..TTA's have a special designation on the tranny..TTF and very rare..$$$..so dont Aamco it cuase they may swap it for a 2004r from a montecarlo or ?

The converter they like swapping too for 1800 stalls...tons of shops make this mistake..make sure its a D5

HTH

I pulled the pan, found lots of black metal powder, lots. I checked if the filter was all the way on, it was. I pulled the filter and checked the oring "I installed" the oring was there just the 1 oring. I inspected the filter, after cleaning it, no cracks.

No extra "stuff" like springs or metal chunks in the pan. Just loads of powder. I will just have one of the TB Guru's rebuild and beef the trans, when I get the cash. Might be 6 months out. Oh well I will be overseas on business for 3 of them.

Thanks for all you help guys!:)

Jim

Back