You can type here any text you want

Transmission Problem?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PatrickW

Just bought 89 Turbo with 23000 miles. After about 1000 miles I developed a clunking noise when I put it in drive. Sounds like the exhaust hitting up against frame but its coming from the torque converter area. There is no noise when its in park.

Any Ideas?

Thanks Patrick

I had the same problem which turned out to be a wasted tranny mount that had ripped. If it's still got the stock torque arm you might look into a polly graphite mount from one of the name brand suspension companies....cheap and easy enough to replace.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah it is all stock, except for a Pitbullchip. I havent had time to even get under the car yet. I was looking for some ideas before I ripped into it. My friends 95 T/A ripped a Tmount but it sounded a little different than this. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Patrick,
As an aside, I would take the Pitbull chip out as its way too aggressive. The Thrasher92 or TurboTweak chip would run a lot better.

Also, is this Patrick Weeks? Rob Reese here. If that is you, I just sold my TTA a couple of months ago. Too bad we couldn't have hooked up, been a long time....

Hey Rob it is me. Looks like you moved up to Mt. Airy. How is the family doing? E-mail me off line if you want patrickweeks@comcast.net
Just bought the Turbo about a month ago.Looks like I melted it down already. Just crawled under it, the noise is definetly coming from the flywheel area. The transmission mount is fine. Oh well Time to rip into it.

Could be converter/flexplate bolts getting loose. They make a nice knocking noise when not tight.

Are you talking about a knock when going into drive or reverse. My T will make a clunck too, just one though. Any ideas. I was thinking mabey U-joints.

That was it Rob, 2 real loose converter bolts. 23,000 miles WOW!
Guess I need to go through the whole car.

Originally posted by PatrickW
That was it Rob, 2 real loose converter bolts. 23,000 miles WOW!
Guess I need to go through the whole car.
Glad it was something simple :) Hopefully I'll see the car at the track soon.

Last time I saw you at the track was when you tossed the keys on the, then new, WS6. That was around 98 or 99...you need to get to the track more ;)

Back