Transmission rebuild question

buickjeff

I am looking for opinions on what step i should take with my transmission - i have an old Brian Hoeffer built 200 (i know he didn't build them) sitting in my garage with 0 miles on it - or course it was planned to go into my car but with all of life's situations , i am just getting around to putting it in now.
The question i have is i would like to have the trans looked over to make sure there are no issues with it and to have some of the newer billet parts put into it. Its not going to be a drag car , just a pro touring style car but figure would like to use some of the newer billet upgrades along with checking the trans over.
do you think any of the reputable trans guys would want to mess with someone else's work? i would sell it but i don't have a core for a exchange. so i would be really behind the 8 ball off the bat. or last just throw it in and run it.
I live in south east Michigan in case you are wondering what part of the country i live

thanks in advance - i wanted to hear some opinions before i call up any of the builders on the website

Last edited:
i think you mean brian hoffer and billet is over rated but once it got thrown into the trans game everyone thought they have to have it or the trans is junk ...put it in , dont put a load on it right away , let the clutches get wet , easy shifts for a few miles then enjoy it

Thanks for pointing out my mistake with the name - and also for your opinion of what i should do
and this is why i put this question out there to the board - there are so many board members with so much more knowledge then me , its silly not to ask for their help

i think you mean brian hoffer and billet is over rated but once it got thrown into the trans game everyone thought they have to have it or the trans is junk ...put it in , dont put a load on it right away , let the clutches get wet , easy shifts for a few miles then enjoy it

I am looking for opinions on what step i should take with my transmission - i have an old Brian Hoeffer built 200 (i know he didn't build them) sitting in my garage with 0 miles on it - or course it was planned to go into my car but with all of life's situations , i am just getting around to putting it in now.
The question i have is i would like to have the trans looked over to make sure there are no issues with it and to have some of the newer billet parts put into it. Its not going to be a drag car , just a pro touring style car but figure would like to use some of the newer billet upgrades along with checking the trans over.
do you think any of the reputable trans guys would want to mess with someone else's work? i would sell it but i don't have a core for a exchange. so i would be really behind the 8 ball off the bat. or last just throw it in and run it.
I live in south east Michigan in case you are wondering what part of the country i live

thanks in advance - i wanted to hear some opinions before i call up any of the builders on the website
I would say it depends on your work area. If you have time, all theparts and space install it and pressure test it. You could also send it out to a vendor on here and let them dyno it. Either way you could be ready come spring time. If you don't get started you never get it to a driveable state.

"Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible."

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

You could call Dave Husek right now , tomorrow , or any day , he'll answer . He will point you in the right direction .

RUN IT!!

Especially for a pro touring style driver. You aren't going to break the damn thing. If built by a reputable builder it will be light years ahead of a stock trans even if it was their basic build. If it sat for a decade or more you could run into problems with sticky valves but I'd still install it and get it good and warm and drive it before assuming the worst.

Don't get billetitis especially since you already have the thing sitting there with money invested.

I had a transmission from Brian in my last car - I beat the hell out of it with low 10 second power.
If you don't have a reason to be concerned other than its an older build, I would run it.
Just my thoughts

I was going to call Dave since i already have his torque convertor that i am going to be running - but i just wanted and appreciate to hear other people's opinion's on what i should do also

You could call Dave Husek right now , tomorrow , or any day , he'll answer . He will point you in the right direction .