You can type here any text you want

Trouble in Paradise

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I've been searching for quite sometime for an answer but can't find one, hopefully somebody could help. I have an '88 S-15 Jimmy and the 2.8L from the factory recently went out leaving me at a stand still. My question is, will a FWD 1989 3800 pre-series 1 (LN3) bolt up and run properly with the 700-R4 in my Jimmy and if so what problems would I come across?

2.8L.......................those things are bullet proof:rolleyes:

If you get a good one you've really got a good one but if you do get one of the many duds than boy you have a DUD. I've had a couple that went well over 200K and a couple that were dead well before 100K. The fwd 3.8 will bolt to that trans but thats all I know about it. As far as motor mounts I'd say you will have to do a little work to make them fit the frame mounts. If you swap over the harness and ecm you should be able to get it running pretty easy. Good luck.

(1dollarDog) Thanks a million, I can handle minor troubleshooting with the ecm but I wasn't sure if that fwd 3800 would mount to my trans.

don't forget your throttle body will be against the firewall

Yeah thats right.:eek: I forgot about that. The fwd 3.8's suck air from the flywheel side (back) of the engine. There might be a slight chance that there will be enough room for an "L" shaped intake hose but the other problem is the throttle cable. The throttle will actually open by pushing away from the firewall so that will need to be adressed.

(1dollarDog) I can handle minor troubleshooting with the ecm .....fwd 3800

Uhhhh.... yeah..... minor?.... alrighty then..... :rolleyes: It doesn't appear you have the 1st clue as to what this swap is going to entail.... my suggestion? Go to the boneyard, and get the proper 2.8.... you can thank me later.... :smile:

yea, the 3.8 swap even with an older RWD motor is not easy.... there just about an inch too wide to make it easy...... so it turns out being a pain.

go with a 4.3 out of a later S10......... the cubes and the fact everything swaps over easily will keep you happy.

A.j.

yea, the 3.8 swap even with an older RWD motor is not easy.... there just about an inch too wide to make it easy...... so it turns out being a pain.

go with a 4.3 out of a later S10......... the cubes and the fact everything swaps over easily will keep you happy.

A.j.

4.3 is the way to go as far as ease of install but it won't bolt up to the 700R4 that was behind the 2.8 so you will have to swap out the tranny or at least come up with an adapter plate (if they make one).

Back