TROUBLE WITH MAGNECORE 10mm WIRES

Red Regal T

Thought I had purchased a defective set the first time I tried them a couple of years ago. As soon as I put them on, my car would break-up. Had another opportunity to try a set today and same problem and crazy knock. No one can convince me that these wires are not junk. You've been warned. I have 8mm accels (cheap) on my car and I can't even remember when I put them on, it was so long ago, and my car doesn't miss a beat.

My exact experience. Down right scary. Anyways I got a set of Accel 8.8's that I have had on and off a million times, and never have missed a beat.

This disproves everyones elses theory that I don't know how to remove the boots from the plugs.

Everybody has had different experiences with them, I do believe that the vendors make a good profit margin on these wires, that's why they sell them, and that's the #1 reason, before quality.

We better put the flame suits on, because we're going to need them soon.

If they work for you, that's great, I'm not going to challenge it, but this is my opinion, and it is possible that I may have just recieved some defective sets. I would like to know their % rates on returns though.

Ya' know Ted, that's funny you should mention the idea of damaging the wires when you put them on and off. When I returned the first set I bought from Modern Muscle, the owner had the audacity to say I probably broke them putting them on. That must be their line. "Wires ain't bad, you just don't know how to put them on". Yeh, right!:rolleyes:

I have two sets of the 10mm wires and had nothing but good performance from them. Did you check the resistance in each wire to see how many ohms of resistance they had? They should have around 40-50 ohms per foot. I have purchased plug wires and have had bad wires out of the box. It is always a good idea to ohm each plug wire before installing them.

I also had the Accell 8.8's on my GN when i first had it, and they were great, but so old that i figured I'd replace them.. well didnt want to wait for good plugs to be ordered, so i got the autozone version of the T-type wires, bloody things burn like a crisp..

Try MSD wires, they aren't that expensive and they are very low resistance

I just put on a set of 10 mm Magnecor wires a couple days ago. They work great on my car. I mostly bought them for appearance reasons, but my car seems to idle just a bit smoother because I think my old wires were getting tired. I can't complain, the fit on the Magencor wires was very good and the car runs great. Hope you get your problem sorted out. Take care.

I did get my problem sorted out........I threw out the Magnecores!;) As far as ohming out new wires.......Yes, you better if you buy Magnecores. Anything else....... forget about it.:D

I had a set of Magnecore 10mm and they have always been ok, but I changed to Taylor "409" race wires mainly because I wanted blue wires. I haven't been to the track yet though to see if they will perform ok....Although I changed from Magnecores to Taylors, I'm surprised to see that several of you guys haven't been happy with them!....Mine have been very good...I even sold them to another fellow buick owner who said they performed ok on his car too....Well, that's it! 'Bye, Claude.:)

I just replaced my magnecores with a set of MSDs, my car definitely idles and runs better. I don't know if this had anything to do with changing the plugs two or three times with the mags. My scanmaster was showing the better numbers also.
Shawn

I almost tried the Magnecores but thought they were quite expensive. I am going to try the 8mm black ones JaysGN makes and sells. I can get two sets of those for the price of the magnecores. Jay did say he uses them on his cars. Anyone else use these? Just curious about your results.....

Two set went bad? Sorry to hear about that, I have a set too on my car, no problems here.

i do believe you can be unlucky twice.....my buddy is constantly unlucky with everything he does....i have no probs with my magnecores...and i have pulled them off at least 5 times since i bought them

I also have a set of MSD's, the quality is better than the Magnecore's. I went with the Magnecore's because of the size.

the wires that jay frick sells are the same ones that kirban, and poston sells. i have been using jacobs electronics wires and have had good luck. i have also used the wires from red armstrong on my t-type, they were cheap and i never had a problem with them, i paid $33 for them i think.

Taylor 409's..not sh!t, not cheap. Pul on 'em like the end of the last beer, they'll go FUBAR just as quick as a $13 set from Pep-Boys. Use your head and they'll last for eons.
HTH
Jim

I'm currently using Red Armstrongs & they fit just like he says they do.
I'm considering Jacobs blue whenever the 5+ year old set of Reds show signs of deterating, because I want the blue color.
Many friends tell me Jacobs stands behind their wires.
I've heard too many horror stories about Magnacores attitide of "let the buyer beware".
The Taylors are pretty, but I haven't heard much about them.
I tried a set of Pep Boys & had trouble wrapping the excess length all around the engine to keep them from hanging up on the fan or the front wheels, or any other moving parts.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Ya' know Ted, that's funny you should mention the idea of damaging the wires when you put them on and off. When I returned the first set I bought from Modern Muscle, the owner had the audacity to say I probably broke them putting them on. That must be their line. "Wires ain't bad, you just don't know how to put them on". Yeh, right!:rolleyes:

Just like the "contaminated" oil theory on the turbo's going bad after 1 pass 6 years ago.