You can type here any text you want

Trunk carpet gluing question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

I was hoping to make my trunk carpet and jute a one piece affair; I don't like it separate, and I don't want to see any stitches either. Who has any solutions for a glue that would work for this.

I have used both 3M Super 77 & 3M Hi-Strength 90 for headliners, pkg. trays, lower door panels and my own trunk kit using the one in My wife's former D84 car as a pattern. Both worked great. the 90 is recommended for high heat locations so i used it accordingly.

Spray it on, give it tack time & press together. I used my hands & two rollers - one small artist brayer & a larger roller made for formica etc. The spray pattern is controllable. When putting two layers together I would make a sandwich (food is always on my mind) start with adhesive in the middle and work my way (one manageable section at a time) till the layers were done. On the trunk kit I made (using heavy upholsterers tag board for backing) I even wrapped my trunk liner fabric around the exposed edges of the tag board. Nice finished look. Try a practice piece.

Probably more than you were looking to read. Too much coffee today I guess.

Noo that's fine. I like to read. Do you know of anything that comes in a rattle can? If now, how was the roll on stuff?

Both 3M products listed above are available in spray cans. I can find those items at Wal-Mart, O"reilly, and Home Depot.

Both 3M products listed above are available in spray cans. I can find those items at Wal-Mart, O"reilly, and Home Depot.

Yep - the 77 in a 24oz can was $10 and the 3M 90 is $15.50 for 17 oz. at my local Farm & Fleet. While I was there I bought a Qt. of 3M adhesive remover. The rollers were used to apply pressure evenly to the liner fabric I was fastening down.
roller.jpg

Amazon I think may have the adhesives but it will need to come Ground Shipping I think.

Ahhhhh yes. I know what 3M 77 is; I have a can sitting here lol. I always thought this adhesive sucked bad but I tried it and it worked pretty good :) Now my jute and trunk carpet's one piece like the old stuff was. Thanks!

Ahhhhh yes. I know what 3M 77 is; I have a can sitting here lol. I always thought this adhesive sucked bad but I tried it and it worked pretty good :) Now my jute and trunk carpet's one piece like the old stuff was. Thanks!

Very Good. These two adhesive are up there on the list of sticky ornery chit along with POR-15 and a number of other concoctions. Once I got used to using the adhesive and waiting patiently (hard for me) for the tackiness to set up, I kind of liked using it. Oh & I learned the hard way outdoors is the way to go - or maybe under an exhaust hood if available.

Also cool that you didn't have to go spend some more money! A plus.

Back