You can type here any text you want

Trying to get started in PCM programming...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

salmonofdoubt

Hi, a few guys over at ChevyTalk.org referred me to yall since I have a couple of questions about PCM programming. I would like to reprogram my PCM, but I would also really like to aviod paying $300+ for some chip or module that will only work on my current vehicle. Right now I'm leaning more towards the idea of getting some kind of cable that will allow me to hook my laptop into the OBD 2 port on my truck, but I've only found one place (aldlcable.com) that sells just the cables, and even those are $100. Does anyone here know if I can get the cables cheaper elsewhere, or if yall have extras are you willing to part with one? I'm a college student, so while I can get the $100 cable if it's the best I can do, I really can't afford all the bundle packages or programming units.

I figure that once I have the cable, I'll download some of the free diagnostic software on the web and start off with those while I learn more about the system. I'll worry more about getting the actual programming software a little later (when I will have more money and knowledge).

To conclude: Can anyone tell me where to go for OBD2-to-serial port (or USB) cables, if that is indeed what I should be looking for? Are there any programs I should specifically get or stay away from? And is there some kind of "Idiot's guide to reprogramming PCM's" site I could go to for more information? I know that this is a rather tall request, but I would greatly appreciate any assistace or guidance you could offer me. Finding a cohesive source of info has been difficult for me at best, so I am hoping someone here will be able to at least point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Back