You can type here any text you want

TTA front sway bar

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

asassinetta

Is the front sway bar on our 89 TTA's specific to the TTA's or does the 89 Trans Am GTA have the exact same front bar? A friend of mine is parting out a 89 GTA and I was gonna get some spare pieces that are the same as the TTA. Thanks for your help

asassinetta
89 TTA #1371
Leather TTop
Stock
1969 Trans Am
Auto/Air
Stock
1999 3oth Anniv TA
6spd
Tweaked
2002 Corvette ZO6
Tweaked
2000 Toyota TRD Supercharged 4Runner

All ws6 cars had the same front bar, cept the converts which also had the wonder bar attached if I remember correctly. The rear bar is the one that was changed with addition of the 1Le package.

All GTA's & Formulas for 1989 (Including the TTA) had the WS6 suspension. The front bars were hollow and 36mm in diameter. The rear bars were solid and 24mm in diameter. The 1LE cars have the same front and rear bars.

The TTA uses the same rear springs as the GTA, Formula and 1LE and lighter sprung front springs due to the V6. All the cars GTA, 1LE, TTA & Formula use the same steering box.

- Dave

I forgot to add the swaybar mounting bracket is different on the TTA.

It hangs about 1" lower than the V8 cars ...

due to intercooler fan???? I think..

Well now I know why the aftermarket sway bar does not work. I recently purchased the car and have not received the original bar and hardware. Is the spacer still available??

What are the dimensions of the spacer for the bracket. The original owner dug up my sway bar; however, he does not have the spacers for the main 2 bushing mounts. Looks like I will have to fab some up. Dimensions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

Front stabilizer

Just a little info here, most of the firebirds had pretty meaty bar diameters. I have an 86 base model with a v6, and it has a 34mm front stabilizer and it came equipped with poly bushings. The rear one is like 20 mm, also with poly bushings. Even with soft springs,Gn sized tires and no balls, this car can turn a corner. That's why I keep her as a daily driver....

Back