You can type here any text you want

TTA head work

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
Anybody port and polish there stock heads? If so, what gains did you get , how much was it , where did you get them done? I am buying a pair and wanted to know what experience you had with them.:)

Thanks,
Bo

TTA list member Frank Weeks got over 100hp from his guy's porting job, but the guy doesn't normally do TTA / Iron heads.

Talk to John Pearcey at Johns Performance - he's used a place on the west coast with good results.

Either way, it looks like there's plenty of HP to be had...

Are you buying Champion ported heads?

Phil Cockrell has a friend that does a great head work, and this from a 3.1 head that fits the TTA.

MARKB, no, im buying stock heads of of 20k mile car. I wanted a spare to put on if anything were to happen to the motor and wanted optimum performance out of them. How much am i looking at to get full race port?

Bo, there is a guy here in Sarasota who ported my heads and did a really good job according to the machine shop. He usually does GN's and these were the first like this he ported. His name is Jason and I think he's frequently on the Florida part of this list. No idea on cost he ported mine years ago. He also port matched the exhaust manifolds, stock they didn't line up! If you want more info let me know.

P.S. you still movin' down this way?

Ken TTA#1426

Soon Ken, I just sold everything but the house so far. We are ready to go soon. I sold the house once before for full price and had to back out:mad: 9/11. So i have no doubt it will sell again. My car is going to be an everyday driver for about 6 mo. down there so I will have to take it easy ;) I will e-mail you later Ken.

Keep em comming guys:cool:

Haven't checked lately, but a rull race port / maximum effort can be up to $1,000 depending on who does it.

I think this is one of those areas where people will say you get what you pay for...

Got any dyno sheets on the 100horse gain by just porting our heads ??? I really would like to see them posted if that was all that was done. I have never seen that increase with just porting work on our heads Please include temperatures and all the pertinent stuff. If this is true I would be ready to support a C-N-C scan and write a program from those heads. Please Advise.

RE: 100hp, I really don't like answering for other people - you would need to talk to Frank Weeks directly. But... the head porter was supposed to be a top notch dude that worked in NASCAR (some famous driver names..) BUT... again, he doesn't usually work on iron heads. From what I know about that kind of business, people don't give info away or even sell it.

Frank's car made some big numbers on the dyno and then the motor blew up... due to "build error".. let's say. He's not really fond of talking about it, especially since he might have to go the legal route to get restitution.

Not tyring to be negative on the HP numbers, but that is extremely high. Would just like to know if he personally saw the dynomometer run, or is this what the engine builder you referenced told him it was. Sorry if I upset anyone I just was looking for a competant cyl. head source. By the way, was the guy who caused the engine failure a guy who lives in Silver Lake Wisconsin ????? if so - please have the guy call me to see if a class action type of legal action is the way to go. The engine guy in Wi. passes himself off as the greatest thing since the internal combustion engine, but ain't worth a s#$%.(cost me $5,000 to correct the stuff he screwd up on mine)Thanx again -- TURBOTA

OK guys, what is the normal HP out of these heads?

(Guess) 40-60hp?

What would this do for my car(see sig below)?

Without letting this thread get out of hand...

Most porters will do at least a couple of levels of porting, from the basic job to a "max effort". It is debateable whether a max effort porting is overkill for the street.

You can spend a real lot of money on porting and personally I do not doubt that a person that did NASCAR heads could get 100 hp out of set. This is best proven while controlling all other variables, which most of us can't/won't do. We are not going to port the heads, dyno the motor, and then do a cam and dyno the motor, then do pistons and dyno the motor, etc....

So a 100hp figure for these heads is high, is difficult to obtain, probably can't be done by most people and is arguably unrealistic.

The inidividual I referred to in the beginning did other work to the motor and unfortunately was there when they grenaded it on the dyno.

40-60 hp is probably a realistic number, but again, the question really is how much do you want to spend and where/how are you going to use the car?

I think $1,500 for a max effort port/polish is overkill for the person driving to store for groceries :-)

But there are worse ways to spend money...

Talk to John Pearcey at John's Performance - he's had good luck with a place in CA he uses and can give you some real numbers and real cost.

I'd like to put my BS stamp on the 100hp from porting. I live in the middle of NASCAR country and most porter say your doing extremely well to pick up 60hp.

I big set of hogged out heads without the supporting other components have slowed more cars than not.

I had my heads done by a friend who was VERY reasonable, the local race car machine shop who flowed them said he did a great job. I will try and find the flow #'s for you and post them.

Im expecting about 40-50 hp.

Phil

ok here is the data:

Had them done and this is what I got, remember this is with STOCK
valves.I didnt have them flowed over .450 simply because the stock
cam
wont go there and neither do most of the aftermarket cams we use. Bigger intake valves and better stainless exhaust valves would produce SIGNIFICANTLY better #'s

Intake
.100 54
.200 109.2
.300 154.8
.350 170.0
.400 179.1
.450 180.2

Exhaust
.100 55.7
.200 100.9
.300 120.7
.350 128.4
.400 144.8
.450 149.2

Heres some pics as well:

http://imageevent.com/turbo/89tta

Heads will only make power on those engines that need the flow...On a completely stock motor running stock boost levels..dont waste your time...

If your running 30 lbs of boost and want to lower boost numbers by increasing flow..then you'll see the difference..and on a "forced" application I dont personally feel that polishing runners helps any..for 99 percent of the motors..Open up the exhuast.. do the pockets...smooth the combustion chamber...and increase the lift..Sometimes bigger valves also dont make power..and on our heads with the seats having issues of cracking..stock size may be the way to go.With a better flowing valve of the SD type

Just my own experience and opinion.

I would have to agree with Razor, It all depends on how much boost/ what turbo you are running as to how much power you will gain. If you are pumping alot of air to make power and free up the intake runners enough 100hp is possible, but for most of us, 60hp probably is more realistic with a really good "race port"

SHRPTTA: The car looks great with the grey interior. The jethot coating also looks really nice too.

Back