You can type here any text you want

TTA Heads and 87 GN Swaps

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

91Bird305

Alright, I was under the impression that if I decided to stick with the 87 GN heads I have now that I would lose my A/C but I talked to John from Johnsperformance today and he said I am gonna have a hell of a time trying to route my exhaust if I use the 87 GN Heads instead of the TTA heads. I am using the H&R Poly Mounts so I know that will give me a lot of clearance with my downpipe but does anyone know anything about the clearance issues with TTA Heads vs. 87 Iron Heads? I have no problem losing my A/C (it doesn't work anyways). Just need some more personal experience opinions here. I can have custom headers and other pipes made but I just have to make sure I am not gonna be sawing away at my engine bay or frame to get stuff to fit. Thanks

I remember reading the GN heads are wider and you have shock tower clearance problems.I would think itd be nothing a BFH couldnt handle either that or mabe a tubular k member.I know its wider but I too thought if you lost the AC youd be fine.Maybe someone that knows will chime in

I heard someone from ATR has a 87 GN motor swap in their Trans am. I might give them a call tommorow.

I also heard something about I might need a different K member? They weren't sure if the V6 frame mounts bolted in the same place? :confused:

From the way I've read and seen in person over the years, the impression and misperception was the shock towers were the issue when the problem was retaining the a/c. To wit, I've seen at least 3 TTA's with stage blocks and GN1 type heads that fit in the TTA engine bay without mod to the shock towers....but had the a/c removed.

Also, since the TR block is the same it obviously bolts in. I'm not sure how a k-member would give you room on the heads since the block sits in the same place. I have the custom K-member on my TTA. What it can give you is room for a girdle....and some weight reduction and little more elbow room under the motor :)

Heads

The car I transplanted a GN engine into (currently buying)
Was not a A/C car.
I did remove some of the unibody frame and re-inforced it with 1/4 plate steel. We did not have any problem running stock GN headers and a 3" down pipe. I had to do the cutting and welding once we went to a 3.5" DP.
Everything from a GN will fit fine. If your going to use a 2004R trans you'll need to build a different crossmember for it to mount with. 400and 350TH trans will only take a little modifacation to work.
We use the South side lift bars and leave out the factory trailing arms and remove the coils and install QA1 Coil overs and a different pan hard bar. With out a anti-roll bar for the rear suspention the car went 1.48's on 6psi on the foot brake.
The car didn't squat or pull a tire just launched streight forward!
Was going 10.92@124mph DOT's 19lbs boost pump gas.

E-Mail me if you've got more questions!
~Scott

Back