You can type here any text you want

TTA will not start sometimes ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotaone

Every once in a while my TTA just won't start.
I turn the key and there is nothing,not even
a click. I'll try it again later and it usually starts.
I thought that I had read something about
this problem with the TTA,s on this board before.
As I remember it was some kind of relay that goes
bad. Does anybody know where this relay is
located and what it is called ?

Thanks James

Do a search in this folder for this issue. Very common problem with TTA's. Long story short, it is from the starter solenoid binding from heat soak.

Go and get a new starter at autozone..20 dollars latter your done.

Ya, I had this problem a little while back. Guys at autozone sh!t their pants when they seen the price:eek:

Sounds like your problem.

Bo

By chance, is the engine hot when this happens?? If so, don't waste your money on a new starter, it won't help.

Yes, the engine is always hot when this happens.
Sometimes I have to wait a few hours and sometimes
only a few minutes for it to start. There is no ryme or
reason.

Try this ...pour water down the back of the pass side VC..so it drips on the starter..if that works..its your starter...hey its only 14 years old..

Especially when its hot..the selenoid sticks.. seen a few of these on friends GN..

What you really need to check is the voltage on the solenoid when the key is in the start position, mine is about 6volts when it is hot and that isn't enough to start the car, if I jump the car and have 13.8 at the battery it will see about 8v at the solenoid. I ran a wire from the solenoid to the battery (not connected) and just touch it on the positive contact when it won't start with the key. Hasn't failed to work yet. Next step for me is to go with a ford solenoid or just a 30amp solenoid triggered by the factory wire with a new wire running to the starter solenoid.

If the voltage is dropping at the solenoid then the probelem is 100% caused by the purple wire not being able to transfer enough current. Putting in a new solenoid or starter will not solve the problem. I had this same problem about 10 years ago and solved it by running an exta 10g wire from the vats solenoid to the starter solenoid. To this day I still have the factory starter and car has started every time.

Back