You can type here any text you want

Tubular Exhaust Manifolds

• Thread starter Thread starter brewmeister7
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
B

brewmeister7

Can I expect a power increase by swapping my '79 engines cast iron exhaust manifolds for a set of '83 tubulars?:D

Hello;

When I installed mine on my old setup . I actully lost a little ET , because it didn't spool up has quick , less velocity because of the bigger diameter tubes.

But it did help top end because they do flow better.

Downside, they crack alot about once a year I have to have welded up.

Gaskets , if the mating surface to the block is flat , use a little red RTV. I used to go though gaskets all the time . One time at the track I blew one , didn't have on to replace it , use Gray RTV becasue thats all I had on me . And it has held up for over 8 months now.

I've already got a cracked manifold on my 45,000 mile '83. :(

I'm probably going to swap them to the '79 manifolds. I considered aftermarket headers, but they are expensive.

Hey Rich;

Why don't you get them welded up. I know a few people up this way that can do it. I don't know how much , but drop me a Email , I can give you there Email address.

O yea , Are we going to get a spell check for this site ? , sorry to be a pain , But I really could use it.

I miss the spell check too. Unfortunately I don't think Jason will be putting it back. (I wish we could post pictures instead of just links as well. Ah, the good ol' days :) )

I probably will have them welded, but while they are off, I'll try the '79's, since I already have them. I want to see if the work with the '83 crossover and up-pipe (I think they will). If they do, this would be a cheap alternative for 84/85 and even the 86/87 driver's side. Maybe not the best performance, but they should be very reliable for daily driven cars.

There are only a couple of issues I can see. No O2 bung, but I think I can weld one in the up-pipe. And the EFE valve, which I will probably just remove the butterfly. The dipstick may also need to be changed.

I also may try the 81/82 manifolds which are very small. These might be great for spool up on a street driven car.

Here's the page with the manifold pictures:
http://www.flash.net/~rjgeorge/exhaust.htm

Originally posted by b4black
I've already got a cracked manifold on my 45,000 mile '83. :(

I've got a cracked set on my '83 too:(
I bought a welded & strenthened set from Micheal McCoy
(M&M motorsports) for $180.
I've just about got everything settled in my new garage enough
that I'm about ready to start the swap.
Those back couple bolts on the pass. side look real FUN:D
to get too.
I have a few other things I want to do @ the same time.

Unbolt the downpipe from the turbo. Then you can push it aside. It's not that bad of a job.

The funny bolts with studs that the plenum brackets bolt to are still available from GM. I try to use new GM bolts since they are a locking bolt/washer. Regular bolts will loosen up. AND NO GASKETS, just some Permatex Ultra Copper.

Back