Turbo Choice

Larry

Talked to Mike at T/A this week. After the two year wait- It looks like the assembled block and his heads are near delivery. Somebody PINCH me!! Did I die and go to Buick Heaven? Anyway- I could use some input on Turbo choice. I'll looking to run mid to HI 9's-- 800-850 HP. The off center motor has a 4"bore, 3.625 crank, 230-230 solid roller cam, ported T/A heads to match my exsisting stock intake with KB headers and 3" Terry Houston pipe. I have 83# injectors with a Mark Jackson 17 row stock location intercooler, 4" inlet tube with the Fast mgt sys and a 400 t rans with a brake. I know the motor is capable on more- but the car is still stock appearing (except for the 10 pt roll cage)inc A/C. I drive it on the street only 100 miles a year at best. Any comments would be appreciated. Larry

For your goals I think a 74 or 76 GTQ turbo would be a good choice and I would move up to 95lb injectors.....

Also, that MJ 17 row stock location IC might not be very efficient at that level (I know some of the Ohio boys have run in the mid 9's with it, but I'm sure they could go faster with a better IC) so you might want to look into that new 24 row Mease stock location IC (if you want to keep the stock appearing look) or get a good front mount IC like the PTE unit or that big boy Cotton FM.....

BTW, what fuel pump(s) do you plan on running?

Turbo recommendations

Your 83lb injectors are fine for 800-850 hp. I would put in a weldon 2025A or 2035A. As far as turbo's go I would recommend one of the following:

PT-72 makes 850HP
PT -74 875HP
PT-76 900HP

I would use one Innovative Pro-gate wastgate or two Minigates with a 10lb spring.

Regards,
Mike- 1400 HP S2 trying to run 7's with a 315 Drag Radial

what fuel pump(s) do you plan on running
I currently have Reds double pumper wirh stock lines. enough?
Where can I find info on the mease IC- Thanks for the info. Larry

-Fuel Pump, Weldon 2025 with voltage regulator
-Injectors 95 or 160 if you want to go big later
-a 70mm to 76mm turbo Look at PTE's new stuff
-You should really upgrade your intercooler

If you really need to keep the fuel system and intercooler.
I would go on the small side with the turbo

PT70GTQ 850-hp
PT71GTQ 880-hp
Keep in mind David Bamford has gone 9.5 with the 71mm unit.

If you make the upgrades above

PT74GTQ 950-hp
PT74GTS 990-hp
PT76GTQ 975-hp
These should get you to the bottom 9s maybe a 8.8 on kill.

You will need a serious tranny and converter at this point.
Say goodbye to 2004r. (Sorry Bruce) !!!
PT76GTS 1100 hp
PT88 4-bolt 1250-hp

At this point you have a serious mid 8 second horse power.

Originally posted by Larry
what fuel pump(s) do you plan on running
I currently have Reds double pumper wirh stock lines. enough?
Where can I find info on the mease IC- Thanks for the info. Larry

With Red's double pumper I think you'd be pushing it and also you have to consider what could happen if the second pump does not come on or if it lets go during a full out pass (bye bye to motor worst case):eek: With a single external pump if the fuel pump goes the motor shuts out and you live to fight another day...... No matter what pump(s) you decide to use definitely upgrade those fuel lines!!!! IMO either a Weldon 2015......

"This external pump will flow 100gph at 80psi and will support horsepower levels up to 950 at the flywheel. This pump typically requires the use of a 1-to-1 EFI adjustable fuel pressure regulator."

Or a Weldon 2025 with the voltage regulator like John mentioned would be a good choice for your goals.....

"This external pump will flow 140gph at 80psi and will support horsepower levels up to 1300hp at the flywheel. This pump is not designed to be a continuous duty pump."

Since you only plan on driving the car 100 miles a year at best the Weldon 2025 would be my pick......

The latest issue of GMHTP magazine has an article on the Mease 24 row IC and there has been several threads posted about it on here so the Search feature would find you all the info you need......

Here are a few links that will help you with info on the IC.......... http://www.measeperformance.com

http://www.measeperformance.com/inttr1.html

http://www.measeperformance.com/tb/tb_ic.html

BTW John, Bamford ran 9.5 with the PT70 GTQ (the 71 GTQ was not legal this year in TSM, but will be legal next year)....

I really appreciate the input guys. I guess I gotta make another trip to the BANK! Im this far into it- ain't no turnen back now. Thanks again. Larry

Originally posted by Larry
I really appreciate the input guys. I guess I gotta make another trip to the BANK! Im this far into it- ain't no turnen back now. Thanks again. Larry

My daddy always said "If you're going to do something do it right or don't do it at all!"

Just make sure you don't skimp on the fuel system!!!

Good luck and keep us posted on how she does when you're done spending money and got her running:) :cool:

Later.

Larry, remember the best 9.0-9.5sec. car is a detuned 8.5sec car if the boys are saying a T76 is good for 9.0-9.5 maybe you want to go with the next step bigger turbo. but like the boys also said you'll need the supporting cast, FP, IC, FLines, etc...

BigAl...

its going to be good to finally see that thing run larry!!

so when you get yours done, you can help me with mine, since i know you love working on these cars :)

Kevin