You can type here any text you want

Turbo oil lines routing ........advise please.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Does the turbo have to have a gravity return line?
or can it be piped?

I will adding a turbo to a chevy 250 inline 6cyl n/a car and this is my idea
remove the oil filter
install a oil cooler adaptor between the oil filter and oil filter mounting
run the feed line from the adaptor to an oil cooler
run the return from the oil cooler to the feed of the turbo
run the return from the turbo back to the adaptor.
what do you think.
thanks
Dave.

Without knowing any more about the "adapter" you're using, I'd say NO!

Some adapters use a temperature sensing device to regulate flow to the cooler, in which case you'd not have any oil flow to your turbo until the oil got hot enough for the adapter to"switch" the flow into the cooler line.

Other types will send all the oil through the cooler circuit which won't hurt anything, but will incur pressure losses due to the added restrictions involved.

Also keep in mind you'll need a fairly good pressure drop to move the oil through the turbo housing. A pan or block drain will allow for the maximum drop possible without using any external devices.

S10xGN said:
Without knowing any more about the "adapter" you're using, I'd say NO!

Some adapters use a temperature sensing device to regulate flow to the cooler, in which case you'd not have any oil flow to your turbo until the oil got hot enough for the adapter to"switch" the flow into the cooler line.

Other types will send all the oil through the cooler circuit which won't hurt anything, but will incur pressure losses due to the added restrictions involved.

Also keep in mind you'll need a fairly good pressure drop to move the oil through the turbo housing. A pan or block drain will allow for the maximum drop possible without using any external devices.

its a cheap adapter no switch . Its open all the time.

TURBOPOWERED68 said:
its a cheap adapter no switch . Its open all the time.

Sounds like you're saying the oil (all of it) goes out one port of the adapter, through the cooler (and turbo), and re-enters a second port on the adapter? That would mean ALL of the oil will be cramming through the turbo housing and it's definitely not up to that task! You'll blow the seals out on the first crank.

You could run a small tap off the cooler circuit through the turbo and to a pan drain, leaving the main flow from the cooler to re-enter the adapter's second port. Bottom line is you'll need a small feed line and a large pan or block drain.

Back