Turbo option on base Regal???.not T-Type for GN

monte87LS

I was scrolling through craigslist and found what is supposedly a base Regal with a turbo option "not a T-Type for GN" was that really an option or did somebody just do the swap and call it something its not to boost value?. Ive never seen this before...theres a link below check it out

1987 Buick Turbo Regal

YES, you could buy a 1987 Regal with the turbo engine only.....in 87 the "T" package was a handling package.( i see a T emblem,so his is a turbo T).whats rare about his car is the chrome (not blacked out like most TR's).like mine below.all GN's are completely black (with chrome wheels for 87)and with silver and black interior,rear spoiler.
only 84-86 non GN cars were t-types...confusing, huh?

Yup...all that is is the '87 version of the T-type. LC2 code was available on any regal without the 't-type' package. No biggie.

There was no T-Type package in 87, the turbo motor/suspension option had to also have the T package included when ordering. I have a non-limited 87 chrome TR too. You could order a T without the turbo, but you could not order a turbo without the T.

48y5cy9

if the car is a factory turbo car it has to have the upgraded suspension no way would Buick let one roll out with the engine and run only narrow tires and smaller rear end etc.....

It could be possible that the car would not get the proper YA steering box....but that woudl be a screw up also.

I wrote a 400 plus page book on the turbo cars 1986-1987 versions....it does get complicated as Buick when they introduced the T-Type package in 1983 it went across five different models of Buick....the most valuable ones being the 1986 T-Types as the "turbo Regal" was technically called in 1987 it was called a Turbo-T reason for small metal T emblem.....

Then you got T-Tops.....so yes it can be confusing plus they made V8 examples in 1987 that had the "look" but not the turbo hood or turbo engine....this was to appease insurance companies for young drivers.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

There was no T-Type package in 87, the turbo motor/suspension option had to also have the T package included when ordering. I have a non-limited 87 chrome TR too. You could order a T without the turbo, but you could not order a turbo without the T.

48y5cy9

if the car is a factory turbo car it has to have the upgraded suspension no way would Buick let one roll out with the engine and run only narrow tires and smaller rear end etc.....

It could be possible that the car would not get the proper YA steering box....but that woudl be a screw up also.

I wrote a 400 plus page book on the turbo cars 1986-1987 versions....it does get complicated as Buick when they introduced the T-Type package in 1983 it went across five different models of Buick....the most valuable ones being the 1986 T-Types as the "turbo Regal" was technically called in 1987 it was called a Turbo-T reason for small metal T emblem.....

Then you got T-Tops.....so yes it can be confusing plus they made V8 examples in 1987 that had the "look" but not the turbo hood or turbo engine....this was to appease insurance companies for young drivers.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I stand corrected.it's never too old to learn something new about Tr's

Looks legit to me. The RPO codes would tell the story with LC2 and Y56 among a few others unique to the chrome trimmed cars. If you saw mine, you'd say it was an odd duck based on the options combo but it's all pedigreed based on the original window sticker I have and the SPID label codes. I refer to my 87 too as a Turbo Regal.

RPOinfo.jpg

Here is a page from Buick when the cars were new. In '87 the ability to order some odd combos was opened up.

And to beat a dead horse you will notice that the WE4 option was called The Turbo T Package by Buick. (all the way to the end of the sheet.) Just sayin'.